Need a new amp. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by vincula, Jul 25, 2013.

1. vincula

vincula

Hi guys,

I may be in the market for a new (used) cheap British classic-like no-frills warm sounding amp to hook to my HB1's. The right channel of my trusty Creek CAS 4040 shoebox is faulty -guess that was the ultimate cause of the zingy treble response of the HB1's- and I thought I could try something else, or... Perhaps more of the same? I am total jazz freak, and I mean an anorak-freak:D

Got an Arcam Alpha 7 SE cd player from a good friend of mine, which I really like. I ended up selling my Classè silver spinner. Must be deaf, you think. Now I even feel like playing cd's again, even though vinyl still wins chez vincula. I will probably set my AI500 valve amp back in the winter time, but I must have a SS back up amp, especially with lots of little prying fingers around...

Budget? Well, cheap. Straight, no bells and whistles. Don't need them. Any suggestions, opinions, recommendations, even offers, pretty much welcome. Also those thinking I should service my Creek and call it a day! You know how this is, don't ya? What a :confused:!

Regards,

Vincula

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2013
    vincula, Jul 25, 2013
  2. vincula

Tenson Moderator

Please see the recent Amp Test thread.

Tenson, Jul 25, 2013
  3. vincula

vincula

Thanks! I missed that one...

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Jul 25, 2013
  4. vincula

RobHolt Moderator

Otherwise for a quick and easy fix just pick up a clean A&R A60.

Very like the Creek and perfect for Heybrooks.

It was a very popular amplifier so lots on the used market and prices are reasonable - £50-£80 should get you a nice one.

If the budget is a bit higher - say £150 you might find a Cyrus 3. Good, solid dependable amplifier in a small box.

RobHolt, Jul 25, 2013
  5. vincula

vincula

Thanks for the tips;) Gonna have a look around. Those A&R 60 do seem to have a strong following. I may end up servicing the Creek CAS 4040, mostly because this plain-looking shoebox has actually grown up on me. Always fun to listen to. Newer Creeks sound very different. The only problem is that service prices here in DK are outrageous.

I've loaned a small Rotel amp from a friend to keep me going and it sounds good too. The sonic balance really differs from what I'm used to. Maybe more hi-fi, don't know how to explain it...

I have been looking at Rotel and Arcam too, but find the range pretty confusing. Could Cyrus? Hadn't really considered them. Much to learn. Seen some Aura amps too, which were very well-reviewed at the time. Musical Fidelity appeals to me as well, but I get lost among all those models, mate.

Others, like Sugden, which I love, are out of my budget for now. It they get so warm, then I'd rather put my valve amp back:D!

The quest continues...

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Jul 26, 2013
  6. vincula

Tenson Moderator

Love the Cyrus 3 :)

Tenson, Jul 26, 2013
  7. vincula

felix part-time Horta

If you like the amp you've been leant - well the small Rotels integrated amps are often excellent. The classic Rotel budget amp in the UK after the Creek was the RA840, and any of this model series (820, 840 etc) are very good, 25-35W amps. The 840BX especially is a very fine, reliable and flexible integrated amp - often found for pennies these days.

felix, Jul 26, 2013
  8. vincula

RobHolt Moderator

Seconded on the 840BX.

Bit like a better specified A60 in a very similar format box.

RobHolt, Jul 27, 2013
  9. vincula

vincula

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, mates. A friend of mine is gonna lend me his Arcam Alpha 7R, which doesn't get much use these days. Then I'll have a real opportunity to compare both amps in my rig and decide what kind of sound I lean more towards.

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Jul 28, 2013
Ask a Question