Need external speakers that do NOT auto connect to bluetooth

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by karher, Jan 25, 2021.

1. karher

karher

I've tried to search for external speakers for my laptop that either have a physical button to turn off bluetooth or don't have bluetooth capability at all and can't find anything. Nothing I search for gives me anything relevant to what I want. Can someone here please recommend an external speaker like this to me? Bluetooth is such a security risk and I don't understand why every single speaker with bluetooth doesn't include the option to turn it OFF. The speaker I just bought works great, but even when I unpair the speaker from my laptop, and plug in the cable, the speaker keeps scanning for bluetooth connections constantly. Why??? There's no way to turn it off.
    And no, it's not a 'smart' device and NO i do not want to buy something that can be hacked.
    Please, if anyone can recommend a speaker that I can connect with just a cable (I have a cable already), I would be very appreciative.
    Karolyn

karher, Jan 25, 2021
  2. karher

karher

Or even what terms to search for because I have no clue.

karher, Jan 25, 2021
  3. karher

Sergeauckland

Search for active monitors There are hundreds to choose from, the KALI seem to be pretty good value kaliaudio.com, or Genelec if you have the budget or can find some used. I have a pair of Genelec 1029a I'm very fond of.

S

Sergeauckland, Jan 25, 2021
  4. karher

karher

Thank you. Is an 'active monitor' a type of speaker?
    On the website, the speakers (monitors?) appear to be at least $150. Do you or anyone else know of any alternative that isn't so expensive? I just want it for my laptop lol. And I just don't want bluetooth, or at least forced bluetooth. Thanks.

karher, Jan 25, 2021
  5. karher

Sergeauckland

Sorry, but if you want cheaper than $150, then you're not looking at something completely different from a monitoring loudspeaker. Very cheap 'speakers have to sell in huge volumes to get the price down, so they have to appeal to the widest market, hence include Bluetooth as it costs pennies to add, and will widen the market.

You might do better to find some used old-fashioned wired computer 'speakers, such as Logitech used to sell.

Best of luck with the search.

S

Sergeauckland, Jan 26, 2021
  6. karher

karher

Thanks. My son told me to just look for wired computer speakers, instead of using the word laptop or external. Did that, found several on Amazon. Many of them are ugly or too huge, but found a few that were the perfect size, and very reasonable, $25-40. Best part? they don't have bluetooth.

karher, Jan 27, 2021
Ask a Question