Need some adviceRe: Speaker Cones

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by abraxus, Dec 7, 2007.

1. abraxus

abraxus

1. There is a smal dent in one of my Midrange Cones onmy speakers (TDL Studio 1M). Soud quality remains somewhat unchanged. I'll be the first to admit I donot discern small changes in sound quality. I can do so between say the 8000c's & 8000Q's sound when I initially bought it in the late 90's.

Any observations advice?

2. Also have any of you listened to/own Densen Hi-Fi Units or Shahanian Arc or Hawk Speakers ( My next upgrade hopefully if all things go well http://www.zerogain.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif).

Please let me know of your experiences.
    Current System: Tdl Studio 1M Speakers/ Nakamichi DR1 Cassete Deck/ Nakamichi MB-2 CD(Multi)Player/ Audiolab 8000Q Pre-Amp + 2 X Audiolab Monobloc Power Amps + Audiolab 800T Tuner/ Audilab 8000CDM Transport + 8000DAC)

abraxus, Dec 7, 2007
  2. abraxus

aquapiranha

I doubt that a small dent will affect the sound at audible levels, it is only if the dent intrudes on the coil I would start worrying.

I have never heard the other kit you mention, sorry.

aquapiranha, Dec 9, 2007
  3. abraxus

Jimbo

You shouldn't worry if they sound ok, its only cosmetic, if you can put up with that.
    I heard some Arcs a few months back. Compared them to some Piego speakers (think they were spelt something like that), the Piegos's cost £1500. The Arcs certainly were better but i thought were they £1000 better. You really should demo a few and then try your short list at home. If you are going to spend that sort of money you could try some Neat Momento 3i or the floorstander the 4i. I heard the 3i and thought it was a very good speaker for imaging and clear taught bass. the only thing concerned me was the metal dome tweeter they use sounded a bit edgy.

Jimbo, Dec 9, 2007
  4. abraxus

abraxus

Thank you for your advice/reply

abraxus, Dec 28, 2007
  5. abraxus

abraxus

Thank you for your advice/reply

abraxus, Dec 28, 2007
  6. abraxus

shrink

the first thing to do, is do yourself a favour and lose the 8000Q preamp.. i used to have one with 8000M's (indeed i still have a pair of 8000M's) and its a dire preamp.

compare it to almost anything else, and it sounds veiled and shut in. I tried a croft vitale SC, cyrus preX, bel canto pre3, and a creek passive, and each sounded more open, cleaner and less fuzzy than the 8000Q.

its no wonder that what hifi got away with using audiolab and monitor audio speakers, they had an 8000Q and audioquest midnight basically robbing the system of any top end it might have had.

shrink, Dec 28, 2007
  7. abraxus

abraxus

You might be right. As I said, I won't call myself a discerning listener. I like my music. It was 1996 and What Hi-Fi claimed they used them as 'reference' to measure other systems against! It was my first foray into Hi-Fi and I must say with the TDL Studio 1M's the Q was sounding 'different' from the 8000A, or 8000C. I presumed the Q was 'transparent'. So I upgraded from 8000C to 8000Q.
    My next upgrade hopefully will be Densen.

The 'Q' was 'marketed' by Audiolab as 'transparent'. I might have found it clinical, but veiled and shut in is not the expression from my experience. Again I am no Hi Fi afficianado. Perhaps the TDL Studio 1M's made the difference in combination.
    I've got a good dealer now and when I do, like-for-like demonstrations with the Densens, I'll realise the inherent weakness of the 'Q'. Until then I am a frog in the well. I only know what I listen to! Besides to me they sound OK.

abraxus, Dec 28, 2007
Ask a Question