Net Audio Quad 33 upgrade

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by No Sound, May 23, 2015.

1. No Sound

No Sound

I installed the full upgrade in January the sound was much improved but it came with a loud pop when switching on and off. I had difficulty in contacting Net Audio and have since learned that the original owner has passed away. It would seem that ownership has passed to a chap called Andy Williams. I sent the amp back to him for repair / testing to find out what the problem was. After many weeks of chasing he replied that the power boards had a problem and the amp would be fixed and returned. The amp has just been returned with the same problem. He is now not responding to emails.
    Has anybody else had a problem with this upgrade ?
    Can anybody shed light on what the problem may be .

No Sound, May 23, 2015
  2. No Sound

mjp200581

I'm sorry to hear that the chap behind Net Audio has passed away. I have purchased several items from them over the years and always found the quality of their products and their after-sales service to be first rate. I think the chap I spoke to was called David IIRC and he was very helpful with advice.

The resident Quad expert on this forum is RobHolt, hopefully he'll be along shortly although he might not be familiar with the Net Audio upgrade parts.

Try: http://www.bakeraudio.org

mjp200581, May 27, 2015
  3. No Sound

No Sound

Thanks for the response ,I have since found the one of the power output boards was not working. I swapped them over to see if it was anything with the original amp. Apart from the loud pop when switching on and off the sound quality was notably superior to the standard 33 . The main reason for the upgrade was to power two 303 amps .I am currently waiting for new owners of Net Audio to respond. Thanks again Mark

No Sound, May 27, 2015
  4. No Sound

wilsonlaidlaw

I too had used Dave of Net Audio in the past and had had a good job done but that was a long time ago. There seem to be less Quad repairers around than there used to be. The website of Fidele in Scotland seems to have disappeared as well, which is sad as Peter Hickman had done excellent and very difficult jobs for me like upgrading all the fast switching IC's on a Quad 77. If you have no luck, I can recommend Colin Toogood of http://www.cptacoustics.com. Colin is totally straight and honest and does know his Quads. He used to be with the legendary, if grumpy, Les Wolsthenholme at Avondale.

Wilson

wilsonlaidlaw, Jun 1, 2015
  5. No Sound

DSJR

I 'did' my 33 with Dada mods and liked what I heard, the CD feed being via the tape monitor input and with sensitivity set accordingly. I do appreciate that the Net Audio mods really changed the 33 into a different preamp in all honesty as so much of the active parts are replaced. Hope you get sorted - maybe reducing the power amp gain may help? - I don't know the power amp, but if it's a 303 or 405, I believe it can be done to advantage.

DSJR, Jun 2, 2015
  6. No Sound

No Sound

Thanks for the advice. I have just had the 33 back form Colin and what a fantastic job he has done for a very reasonable price.
    Regards Mark

No Sound, Aug 1, 2015
Ask a Question