New beginnings?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Colin2040, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Colin2040

Colin2040

Not been on for a while but keep an eye on what's happening. Been busy , was looking at doing some hifi projects when my wife said lets go and live somewhere more rural and you could build a house. 16 months later, we almost have a new house and it is a bit more rural ,mid Argyll! This involved leasimg a house, buyng a mancave and renovating it etc Anyway now that its only two or three weeks away from our move in I thought I would pull together all the stuff I have and ready it for its new home.
    Firstly it currently lives in my man cave on the east coast but will be moving shortly to the west.

First up
    Current set up Pre amp Eastern electric and a Khozmo passive
    D Had 6v6 SET which is lovely and I haven't tried anything but 6V6s in it yet.
    3.5 cd MF
    Audiophysic Sitara
    Systemaudio 100 or something like that
    Audio Zone Amp 2 monoblocks
    Hitachi intergrated from early 70;s mint and is actually very good.
    TT is a mint AR Legend or The TT with Shure v15 and it may be an AR badged mission arm.

Few other bits, Sonos system etc but here's my problem....

I would like to get a DD TT but I am in two minds I would also consider tweaking my AR ,possible new chassis,motor,springs and arm.

I will be selling the Hitachi and Audio Zones as I have definitely decided I prefer valves. Much as the Amp 2s are excellent. Probably making some new speakers yet to decide .

General thoughts please I would and have always wanted a DD but I think the AR could be heavily tweaked but currently would probably save money if I just parted with it.

Colin2040, Feb 22, 2014
  2. Colin2040

Colin2040

Hopefully a picture will be attached

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
    Colin2040, Feb 22, 2014
  3. Colin2040

Jeff_C

I'm a little confused. I just replied to your other thread about computer audio. In this thread you say you have a sonos system, so i would expect you to have some knowledge of computer audio.

I can't offer much help in this thread, because I sampled all my vinyl collection to computer audio files and was glad to put the TT into storage.

Jeff_C, Feb 22, 2014
  4. Colin2040

Colin2040

The Sonos system is designed for dummies . The Sonos will travel west and take up residence there and it runs from a storage device which I will set up once I have all the back ups and computers with the same library.
    In the flat I wish to set up something using the laptop, a simple amp/dac linked to the laptop. I suppose the question is , is it as simple as that or do I need any other device in the chain or is there a better way.

Colin2040, Feb 23, 2014
  5. Colin2040

Jeff_C

I will respond to this in your other current thread on computer audio

Jeff_C, Feb 23, 2014
  6. Colin2040

Colin2040

So any ideas, is the AR worthy of some expenditure or as its in mint condition would a prospective buyer prefer to purchase as is and use that for another TT?

Colin2040, Mar 5, 2014
  7. Colin2040

ursus

what is next upgrade please for better music. interests are ballet & opera, present system is sony 780 dvd ethernet connected to computer , arcam avr 350 , linn majik 109 speakers. all cables except for hdmi are solid core

ursus, Jun 29, 2014
  8. Colin2040

Tenson Moderator

Maybe a subwoofer? I find orchestral music (for the ballet?) really benefits from some low support.

Tenson, Jun 29, 2014
  9. Colin2040

ursus

sorry i should have said i have a rel t1 subwoofer it is rarely heard in ballet

ursus, Jun 29, 2014
  10. Colin2040

Tenson Moderator

Well your kit is pretty decent. You could think about better speakers but have you considered the room acoustics?

Acoustic treatments make a huge difference.

Tenson, Jun 29, 2014
Ask a Question