New set up

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Matt1974, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Matt1974

Matt1974

Hi All
    I have just started a new set up and I am having a few issues I was wondering if anyone could help .
    I have a audio technica LP120 . I’ve got this linked up to a Yamaha AS-201 Intagrated Amp . The issue is the volume on my speakers doesn’t kick in until I’ve turned the knob to about 23 Something just doesn’t sound right . I don’t know if I’ve connected things right . I have it going through a pair of Auna speakers I got cheap from Amazon although the got decent reviews any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Matt1974, Dec 7, 2020
  2. Matt1974

Sergeauckland

Have you switched on the internal phono amplifier? If not, you'll get a very thin and weak sound.

S

Sergeauckland, Dec 7, 2020
  3. Matt1974

Matt1974

I have it set on Phono at the moment as when I switch it to the line option it makes an awful noise

Matt1974, Dec 7, 2020
  4. Matt1974

Sergeauckland

Have you got the turntable plugged into the amplifier's phono input or a line input? If into the phono input, then the turntable's own phono amp should be switched off. If into the line input, then the turntable's own phono amp should be on.

As to volume setting, 23 out of how many? With an amplifier that's well set up, without excessive gain, you should have the volume control at least half way for normal listening. Far too many amps have too much gain, meaning all the volume control is down at the bottom. I think it's done to make people think the amp is more powerful....This amp's so powerful, I can blow the windows out with the volume control only a quarter way round... all it means is that the design is wrong.

S

5. Matt1974

Matt1974

I have the turntable switched to phono and the Amp on phono . Do you think it would be better to use the line input ? Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions it’s very much appreciated. It makes perfect sense what you say about the amp to be honest it’s my first one

Matt1974, Dec 7, 2020
  6. Matt1974

Sergeauckland

I don't think it'll matter much which way you connect it, whether you use the phono stage in the turntable and therefore the line input on the amplifier, or whether you use the phono stage in the amplifier. Either should work fine, although there may be slight volume differences between them. All things being equal (which they never are!), it would be better to use the turntable's phono stage and the amplifier's line input, but that stops you using the line input for something else, like a CD or music player.

Using the turntable straight into the line input will result in a very weak and thin sound, putting the turntable's amplified output into the amp's phono input will result in horrible distortion, so as long as you avoid that, you should be fine.

As to the amp, Yamaha amps have a justifiably good reputation, the turntable isn't at all bad either. I'm not familiar with the Auna 'speakers, but I suspect if there's a weak point in the system, it'll be the loudspeakers which always make the most difference.

S.

7. Matt1974

Lenny

Hi;

I have a similar setup. I have the Yamaha RS302 receiver. It doesn’t have a phono preamp, so I used the TT’s preamp. I switched the TTs phono switch to line and used a lime in on the receiver. It sounds fine.

I’d try that arrangement.

BTW, have you tried other input devices? Thus to be sure it’s a TT issue.

Good luck.

Lenny, Jan 4, 2021
Ask a Question