new starter system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Christina glass, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Christina glass

Christina glass

Hi all!

LOVE the pink colour scheme, it attracted me to the site.

I'm looking for my first hifi, I have up to a thousand pounds to spend.

Would you guys make some reccomendations for me?

I'm a girly girl - so don't be afraid of showing your feminine side in your reccomendations!.. only pretty designs please.

Christina glass, Apr 1, 2007
  2. Christina glass

SMEagol Because we wants it...

bit of a minefield this, separates don't tend to be that pretty until you get into big bucks. Everyone has their own opinions, with this sort of budget "what hifi" is a good start, if you look at the reviews at the back of the mag, you'll need a cd player, integrated amplifier, a good pair of interconnects and a pair of speakers and speaker cables. Vinyl replay can get very expensive, project turntables are a good place to start, but bear in mind you'll also have to budget for a phono stage.This sounds rather basic, but when I got into hifi I didn't know much so excuse me if this sounds a little patronising. A good dealer will assemble a system and let you listen to it, feel free to hear a couple of options of speaker or cd player. B&W speakers are very good as they use a lot of trickle down technology from higher models, and Creek CD players have been receiving excellent reviews recently as has the Rega Apollo, a marantz 7001 is a great amp to start with. One thing I would say is see if you can negotiate a package price for buying everything together, or get some quality cables thrown in. The Linn Classik is a one box solution for a nice hifi, its made by a very good name, its also available in a range of colours and white, theres a nice silver one on ebay at the moment at a substantial discount on retail. The only downside to a one box, is that you can't really tweek it and replace sections as its integrated. A friend of mine has one with quad bookshelf speakers and it does sound very good. The Arcam Solo is a good one too. There are lifesyle systems from bose, but I don't like the sound, they also don't submit equipment for review to hifi mags, which makes me question the build quality/spec. Another idea would be to use your ipod with a valve amplified dock, Shanling make one, and so does Roth audio. (rothaudio.co.uk) just get some speakers and cables! ...Enjoy the music!

SMEagol, Apr 1, 2007
  3. Christina glass

...you could always spray it pink! :D

SMEagol, Apr 1, 2007
  4. Christina glass

sds84

If its any help, my son (at university) has a Naim Nait (second hand for £100) amp coupled to set of Mission speakers (prox £100 new a few years back) fed by a Cambridge Azur 640 c (£250 new from Richer Sounds). The sound per pound spent on it makes the music dance.

The home system he compares it to is my active system way over your budget, but the bottom line is that for so little money spent, you'll love your music so much more.

If you want to upgrade, and get better - then no doors are closed on you if you take this type of route.

Well made and well reviewed kit with a few years on their back are seriously worth looking at.

Choose with your ears open rather than your wallet. But be warned the £XX,000 pound system is out there waving at you......

sds84, Apr 1, 2007
  5. Christina glass

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Trying to figure out which is the bigger piss take. The female member after girly kit, or the WHF? recommendation ;)

MO!, Apr 1, 2007
  6. Christina glass

...bet u guys dolly up a treat! :D

SMEagol, Apr 1, 2007
  7. Christina glass

...well she wouldn't have got far with just an interconnect!!

SMEagol, Apr 1, 2007
  8. Christina glass

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Christina has left the building, but thanks you all for her advice! :)

bottleneck, Apr 1, 2007
Ask a Question