New System - Any Views

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Bish909, May 24, 2016.

1. Bish909

Bish909

Dear all.

Finally, I've managed to save my pennies up in order to upgrade my antiquated system.

Given the choice out there and my lack of knowledge (despite hours of research) I've come up with following to go with my Raga Planer 3 with and Elys 2 cartridge:

Naim Nac 202 pre amp
    Naim Nac 200 power amp
    Naim CD5XS CD
    PMC 22's

Has anyone got any opinions (good or bad) that might help me.I haven't bought a system for over 10 years, so I'm a bit rusty!

Any help will be gratefully received.

P.S. I'm not doing any of that streaming lark.

Cheers.

Adam.

Bish909, May 24, 2016
  2. Bish909

Ray1000 Ray1000

Adam it really depends on what you want from your system.
    I have a 160 power with a 62.5 pre teamed up with a pair of monitor audio GR60's and it is a lovely sound full and deep wonderful control on the bass. I have moved on from this sound and I now build my own speakers using Markaudio single drivers. I use an Firebottle air power amp and a one off pre that was built by the same guy in France and very reasonably. My current system probably cost me about 1/4 of the Naim system. I sometimes use a little BK sub to augment the bass but it really is not that necessary. In recent years I have come to value imaging and a very open airy midrange with as much in the way of naturalness in the voices over extended bass.
    I still have the Naim system because I can't bare to part with it for nostalgic reasons more than anything else.
    I would say if you like the type of sound you have then just invest in having the amps serviced,,, they basically change all the old electrolytic capacitors as the value of the capacitors change with time and use,, it's only few hundred pounds and you are back to the sound you had when your system was new.
    It's horses for courses really, but that's my tuppence worth.

Ray

Ray1000, Jun 7, 2016
  3. Bish909

khefr

As above but definitely all decent kit :)

khefr, Jun 10, 2016
  4. Bish909

Romulus

I used to have a Naim system, for me the above system is like a black stallion horse (perfect). You obviously like the Naim sound and the above system is very well balanced and would imagine the Rega Planer 3 and Elys cartridge is the icing on the cake. George Solti (Hungarian Conductor) once said of Wagner's opera's ' You have,treachery, murder,passion.greed.incest and love; what more do you want..!' If this was my system I would only change the Nap 200 power amp to have the new DR included (specifically improves the Naim sound -- give it an audition) and maybe the speakers - but then speakers is a very personal subjective choice. Eg ATC SCM 19

Romulus, Aug 2, 2016
Ask a Question