new to forum, i have an idea

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by RevJim, Sep 13, 2008.

1. RevJim

RevJim

Hi folks,

I am at a time of life when I have a little free time for hobbies. In my younger days I had a reasonable hi-fi, Systemdek turntable, NAD 3130, AR18bx's, monster cable etc.

The amp died after an accident while redecorating :(
    I looked for a replacement but couldn't find what I wanted, then I came across gainclone's on the net. Being an electrical engineer, I figure this would be a nice replacement for the power, I'm still looking for a pre-amp for my turntable that I can build at reasonable cost.

However, the speakers died long ago, the AR problem of rotting foam surround and I would like to try and build a pair of small bookshelf speakers, I've looked through the sticky and have a few ideas but if anyone can post further links, that would be cool.

As I use the PC for most stuff these days, the idea of replacing the little PC speakers with a small pair of 'proper' speakers really appeals to me. I know mp3's are a lossy format, I also use flac and ogg for my music, so super expensive drivers would be pointless.

So has anyone build a small pair of speakers for this task?

RevJim

RevJim, Sep 13, 2008
  2. RevJim

DavidF

https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=19969

Have you read this?

The speakers Zanash has leant me are really quite good.

They have made me think a lot about ta project for apir in the future.....

I ahve to look into the desgn myself as many people are giving me ideas on design and construction.....Petes were (are ) a single driver design but there are othe ways....

As I say the pair I was leant were comparable with my ruarks which retailed arouind £800 at one time.....so the potential is quite interesting.

Welcome btw.

DavidF, Sep 13, 2008
  3. RevJim

DavidF

edit; I wouild head fror floorstanders if you can.

DavidF, Sep 13, 2008
  4. RevJim

RevJim

Thanks.

I will look into floor standers for my main system.
    But I would like to build a pair of small cheap ones for the PC.

I remember plans in Elector for some quarter-wave boxes, might have to dig thru the old issues

Rev

RevJim, Sep 14, 2008
  5. RevJim

Hamilton

Well I've been thinking about making a pair based on these: http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Paper-HATT.html - possibly changing it slightly to a front slot-ported cab and substituting the Seas 27TBCD/GB-DXT tweeter (because its cheaper and Tenson thinks its great) with a little tweak to the Xover. There are a number of nice-looking small speaker designs on that site at various levels of expense.

Hamilton, Sep 18, 2008
  6. RevJim

TheBaron

Phono Pre-amp

Check this out:

http://www.juicymusicaudio.com/

The Tercel may be just what you are looking for. Mark delivers great quality for the money!

Joe

TheBaron, Sep 22, 2008
  7. RevJim

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Sep 22, 2008
Ask a Question