Newbie - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by leehaynes, Jan 6, 2005.

1. leehaynes

leehaynes

Hi all,

I'm new to the home cinema scene and am looking to invest in some kit to get me started. Firstly i am after an amp/av receiver either new or used but want the best kit available for £200 - any ideas?

Secondly, i will obviously need speakers too, again, another £200 max for all speakers inc sub. Again, i wan't the best kit possible for my money and would consider new or used.

Hope someone can help as it's a bit of a minefield out there when i don't really know what i'm looking for.

Thanks guys.

Lee

leehaynes, Jan 6, 2005
  2. leehaynes

ANOpax ESL-Meister

Hello Lee and welcome to the forum.

It's nice to see you here, but I suspect that you'll get a lot more help from the denizens of avforums . The reason is that although many zerogainers have a/v systems, most of the chat on here is two channel related.

As far as you budgets are concerned, secondhand will be the only way to go to get something decent for your £400.

And as it so happens, a nice man familiar to many ZGers, John Jeffries, has a s/h set of B&W speakers for £260 at the moment right here . Its a DM602, CC6, DS6, AS6 setup and should see you right. I know the price is a bit outside your budget but he's usually willing to do a deal so you may get some money off. As to the AV receiver - sorry i can't help.

reg

:Quad:

ANOpax, Jan 6, 2005
  3. leehaynes

mr cat Member of the month

I've also sent you a PM... :)

mr cat, Jan 6, 2005
  4. leehaynes

Tom Alves

FWIW I use Acoustic Energy AEGO P5 Mk II. It comes a complete package so all you need is a TV and DVD player. Considering I use it mainly to watch opera and prog rock concerts I can honestly say the sound is not at all bad. The downside is that it's a complete package so any upgrading will be harder but apart from that I can thoroughly endorse it. Oh and it's cheap, as little as £438

Other similar packages worth considering are Denon DHT-500 SD Multiregion and the Jamo DVR-50 AV Receiver / A305 PDD 5.1 Speaker System ; both complete systems for around £500 (incl DVD player). I've experienced the Jamo and was impressed. You get a lot for your money.

Tom Alves, Jan 6, 2005
  5. leehaynes

ditton happy old soul

http://www.avtalk.co.uk/forum/ is another place that puts the focus on AV rather than stereo, although, like avforums, it has some stereo talk.

S/H Denon's are rated, see
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/category.cfm/Category/144

for list of models/features.

my entrywas the Denon AVR1602 and then an upgrade to AVR2802. Both are good vfm, having ProLogic 2 and 5.1 or better. I upgraded as altho the 1602 was OK for AV, I found that I needed a 'pre-out' facility to allow me to connect in a stereo amp for HiFi purposes.

As it happens I will be selling my AVR2802, and would like to recoup 250 UKP if I could - so almost in budget.

http://www.pjhifi.co.uk/pj/special_offers.asp

shows typical pricing.

But, blatent ad aside, a s/h Denon would be a good starter.

ditton, Jan 6, 2005
  6. leehaynes

andyoz

I agree that the s/h Denon receiver would be the way to go.

AV receivers depreciate VERY quickly. To give you an idea, I sold my 6 month old AVR3803 last year for 400 quid (cost me 700 quid). I expect a s/h the AVR2802 would be within budget or possibly the AVR2803 if you got lucky!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2005
    andyoz, Jan 6, 2005
Ask a Question