Newbie needs help with power amps

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MartinL, Jul 25, 2020.

1. MartinL

MartinL

Hi all

I currently have an Audiolab CD player linked to a Yamaha cinema amp which also runs my surround system. Recently I have found myself listening to more music and have a large CD collection so am thinking of buying a pair of Audiolab 8000mx or the like to run from the RCA out on the amp and to bi-wire my Acoustic Energy AE120s. My room is only about 14ft square.

Any advice on the Audiolabs or equivalents would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Martin

MartinL, Jul 25, 2020
  2. MartinL

Sergeauckland

I really wouldn't bother! Passive bi-amping as you're proposing is a complete con, designed to sell more power amps but incapable of making any difference. For why not, look up the Superposition Principle. Passive Bi-amping is the more expensive version of bi-wiring, which itself was a way to sell more 'speaker cable.

Active bi-amping, where the passive crossover is replaced by an active crossover before the power amps does make a difference if done well, especially where the crossover is done in DSP as that can also apply EQ and improve both frequency response and pair-matching.

Passive Bi-amping does nothing except make the dealer that bit richer and you that bit poorer.

S.

Sergeauckland, Aug 2, 2020
Ask a Question