Newbie saying hello...Pre-amp question.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Pure_Carbon, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Pure_Carbon

Pure_Carbon Diamond Tipped.

Hi.
    I'm a lurker who's decided to join, i'm also a regular "viewer" on Vinyl Engine.
    My kit is eclectic and probably ill matched, due mostly to divorce and theft :-(

Avid Diva Turntable, Origin Live Encounter II arm, Ortofon Kontrapunkt C M/C.
    Whest Audio PS.20 Phono stage & Power supply.
    Musical Fidelity A3.5 CD
    Alchemist Audio Forseti APD21A Mk II Pre and Alchemist Audio Forseti Tim de Paravicini Signature Power amp.
    2 x PrimaLuna ProLogue Six Monoblock valve power amps.
    ATC SCM 40 speakers.
    Grado RS1 H/phones & RA1 9v battery H/phone amp.
    Van den Hul & Origin Live interconnects, Chord Odyssey 2 speaker cable.
    2 x Townshend Audio Seismic sinks.

My question is, having recently suffered a leg injury, i was pondering a pre amp with a remote volume control, transistor not tube.
    Are there any decent ones out there or do we frown on remotes :confused:

Pure_Carbon, Aug 17, 2007
  2. Pure_Carbon

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

How do you want to spend? New or 2nd hand?

One that may suit is a Michell Orca. This is a fine looking and fine sounding pre with remote control.

There is one in the classified section.

https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=16909

It's not mine and I don't know the person selling it. Worth a look.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 17, 2007
  3. Pure_Carbon

shrink

try the bel canto pre3, as with the preamp that preceeded it its one of the most "invisible" preamps ive ever not heard, if that makes sense.

In a system that had a dac with volume control, it was impossible to tell the difference between the direct DAC connection and placing the preamp into the circuit. I dont think there can be a much higher recommendation than that. It simply passes the signal on with a bit of a boost in gain.

remote control comes as standard with gorgeous fit and finish and a good variety of inputs both balanced and single ended.

shrink, Aug 17, 2007
  4. Pure_Carbon

hifi addict

It's strange,

different systems work best with different pre amps. I demo'd a Music First pre and a Bel Canto pre2 with the big active ATC stystem and the Bel Canto won easily.

A few months later i demo'd the same two pre amp with a small active ATC system and the Music First pre was a lot better. I would not have thought that would be the case from my last experience.

So what i'm trying to say is that there are a lot of pre amps around and its a matter of trial and error. Make a short list (which this thread may give you) and get a friendly dealer to demo them for you.

I hope this is of Help?

hifi addict, Aug 18, 2007
  5. Pure_Carbon

ADPully

Sorry to hear about your leg - Hi Fi Addict is right - Its got to be trial and error. It impossible to say what will work best in your system, in your room, for you, with the music you listen to. What I can do is tell you my experience. I no longer dem items in shops
    and choose equipment by reading info on forums and hunting out secondhand - If I dont like it I sell it on. Though this may take longer to do I think this is a cheap and effective method of upgrading.

Having a remote control isnt a factor quality wise except for the fact that it limits preamp choice

This is my experiece - In my system a Opera consonance passive TVC and a Audio Synthesis Veshay passive was a far better match than a Audio Research SP11 valve pre - I ended up Plumbing for a £175 Prometheus TVC passive Pre. It was cheap and certainly very close in quality and compatablity to the Opera unit. I never even bothered seriously looking into an active transistor preamp because after hearing lots and lots of them in the past Im not a great fan. There may be some good transistor pres out there but I havent found a cheap one that is transparent enough.

If a remote control is a must then on your shortlist should be a.
    BEL Canto Pre 3. However TVC preamps have quite a big following nowadays I think for very good reason. If your power amp has a suitable input sensitivity I think you should at least try one.

Andy

ADPully, Aug 18, 2007
  6. Pure_Carbon

Pure_Carbon Diamond Tipped.

Thanks, I'll certainly do some internet trawling on those suggestions.
    P_C.

Pure_Carbon, Aug 18, 2007
Ask a Question