Newcomer looking for advice on TT purchase?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by monty99, Apr 27, 2009.

1. monty99

monty99

Hello .. seeking some advice ... would you do with £1500 burning a hole? ... used rather than new for better VFM

Looking for a TT at the moment seeking options ....

Many classical/acoustic listening preferences, for use with medium to high compliance low output MC ...

any thoughts? I can't see much for sale at the minute

monty99, Apr 27, 2009
  2. monty99

DavidF

Welcome.

I feel reasonable sure some one will spend 1500 for you.

DavidF, Apr 27, 2009
  3. monty99

zanash

don't buy anything till you've listened to it preferably.... in your own home

personally I'd stay away from the linn .... its very picky in placement and setup ...

I've always liked the NAS spacedeck and tonearm

older model that is well worth the effort tofind would be an Alphason sonatta ..... the best tt I've heard at realistic prices

zanash, Apr 27, 2009
  4. monty99

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

The VPI Scout, Michel Gyro/Orbe and Rega P5/9 would be safe bets in that price range. Don't bother with Pro-ject and Clearaudio.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 27, 2009
  5. monty99

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Monty99,

Why a medium to high compliance low output MC? Do you have a cartridge or a cartridge in mind?

As for turntables, there is a sizable choice. The main problem will be getting to hear all the options.

There is a Townshend Rock in the classifieds. The seller is also selling a Linn Ittok and a Denon DL-304 cartridge. You should be able to haggle a deal. This will give you a very good sound and money to spare.

Another suggestion is to pick up a copy of HiFi World and look at the dealer ads. There are a number of dealers that sell 2nd hand turntables. Ringing around may get you a good deal.

Bear in mind that some decks require more setup than others. Linn LP12s are quite plentiful but needs good setting up.

Michell Gyrodeks are quite plentiful but once setup will stay in tune for a long time.

Avid Diva is a newer deck that have been revamped. The MK I versions can be had for under £1000 inc arm & cartridge. The Mk II can be had for £1000.

A Rega P9 (early version) may be had for £1500. This requires little setup compared to others.

These are just a few to look.

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 3, 2009
  6. monty99

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

Clearaudio Champion with an RB300 tone arm IMHO, would be your best bet.

As you are in the Thames Vally, try Noteworthy Audio is Aylesbury.

Levi_501, May 3, 2009
  7. monty99

DavidF

They look very clued up people if their web site is any thing to go by.

DavidF, May 3, 2009
  8. monty99

nando nando

Quate

try project or if you want more sme, but i think that project are super,
    nando

nando, May 3, 2009
  9. monty99

peez

as advised, have a listen, however i now use a gyro se with tecnoarm, superb all rounder, i used to use a technics sl1200 with origin live encounter (more expensive arm) and the gyro slaughtered it musically handling all music types equally well. can be upgraded too with pwr supply and orbe platter

peez, May 3, 2009
  10. monty99

chrissyman

Don't dismiss the 1200 ' the rega type arms are not a good match ,
    but its the PSU that's the key to getting the 1200 to sing ' an outboard one like Dave Cawley's (soundhifi) transforms it to a different level then fit a either a Jelco arm or an SME 309 and you have one serious record player .

chrissyman, May 4, 2009
  11. monty99

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Noteworthy ? Yes, it's a good shop.

I would also reccomend buying used.

Adding to Deans reccomendations (the rock is a good one), I would add a Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck, and my favourite of the three a Kuzma Stabi / Stogi S.

With no suspension, these decks have little to go wrong on them (famous last words!).

If you're buying a used cart with a used TT, I would try and get a picture of the tip under a microscope and put it up on here.. unless you want to trust the seller with age/condition of cart.

Finally, if you're new to the world of TT's I'd say that all of the decks mentioned would sound truly crap if you use a nasty phono stage.

If you don't have a good one already, budget £150 for a decent used one - up to £300.

Ear 834p
    Trichord
    Graham Slee
    ermm Loricraft do one

I like the valve ones myself, and can name a few more.

*edit* apologies if you knew all that

bottleneck, May 4, 2009
Ask a Question