njoe tjoeb vs micromega

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by peez, Jul 22, 2007.

1. peez

peez

Hi all,
    was thinking of either replacing my ageing, but liked micromega stage 4 (new laser) with the ah! njoe tjoeb, basic version

would it be better to keep the stage 4 and get it clocked or say goodbye and start a new relationship with the dutch one

peez, Jul 22, 2007
  2. peez

tuga

If you are looking for new adventures in musical reproduction why keep the old french hag?

Jump for the dutch girl :jig: NOW!

The digital front end is by far the fastest changing aspect of musical reproduction...and designers have diagnosed the lack of musicality and address it NOS DACs and VALVES.

tuga, Jul 22, 2007
  3. peez

peez

will do, and will post (hopefully) joyous results of our honeymoon.
    cheers

peez, Jul 22, 2007
  4. peez

Tenson Moderator

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I really haven't heard any NOS DAC that I liked very much, or valve based CD players either. If you are going to jump ship, at least try a few other alternatives.

I have been impressed with a Cambridge Azur CD player recently and it is not a lot of money either!

Tenson, Jul 22, 2007
  5. peez

peez

Ill be honest, I dont know what a NOS DAC is

peez, Jul 22, 2007
  6. peez

tuga

Aha, you seems to belong to "it's all in the recording" category as opposed to those of us in the "it's all in the performance" group.

I bet you like Meridian as well... ;) and Theta, and Krell, not Audionote, and definitely not my Shig.

Cheers,
    Ricardo

tuga, Jul 22, 2007
  7. peez

Tenson Moderator

Huh?

Tenson, Jul 22, 2007
  8. peez

RobHolt Moderator

Sticking a couple of triodes on the end of a CD player is pointless and will do nothing but add distortion. Second harmonic distortion can sound 'nice' and if you want that, fine.

Valves are fine in the right situation but passing a line level signal through another line level stage just so that the manufacturer can claim to make a 'tube CD player' is erm......pointless.

RobHolt, Jul 23, 2007
  9. peez

tuga

I see... :eek:

And what if it sounds warmer/richer/thicker/wetter? Should we dismiss it?

tuga, Jul 23, 2007
  10. peez

RobHolt Moderator

No, absolutely not if that's what you want.

Your ears :)

RobHolt, Jul 23, 2007
  11. peez

peez

i wasn't being funny when i said i didn't know what a nos dac was, i meant it, i have since discovered it means non oversampling, as opposed to new old stock which i originally thought it meant.

just want to know opinions on what might yield better sound, have never heard meridian, theta or krell-

have heard lots of different micromegas , rega and classe, i use sugden and sonus faber, have good taste but am poor so just want the best sound per pound , so wanted to know if i am better (paying someone) tweeking what i have or buying a newer well reviewed machine that i saw going cheap. i can certainly assure you that i didn't ask to have my own opinions affirmed, but ask my fellow zg'ers who may have experience of the players.

peez, Jul 23, 2007
  12. peez

LinearMan

Are you talking new or used? Budget available is?

The Njoe Toeb and Micromega are quite different players. The Stage 4 (a relaunched Stage 1) is actually a very nice player. It does the timing thing well and the music bounces along nicely.

The Njoe Toeb is a fairly basic player, tweaked with a valve output stage. As commented above, this may be to your taste but just adds cost with no benefit IMO. I wouldn't consider the Njoe Toeb an upgrade, merely a side step with a different, but not 'better' end result.

If you like what the Stage 4 does but want a more fluid, detailed sound, with a wider soundstage then look out for a Stage 6. If you're looking at new, then I'd take a listen to a Rega Apollo. Or a Naim CD5i.

If you're looking at spending more than the above then let us know, as you're then into fairly serious players.

But before spending any money, consider what it is about your system you don't like, or want to improve. Then consider if that aspect is best addressed by changing your source, or some other element of your system (speakers, amps, speaker placement, for example).

LinearMan, Jul 24, 2007
  13. peez

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

the micromega is a fine player and as linear man says they time bettter than an awful lot of players out there. the decision is where do you draw the line on tweaking your current player. it's old, it still works, the lasers arent available anymore...

i'd be tempted to hear the rega apollo

sq225917, Jul 24, 2007
  14. peez

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

I loved my micromega stage5, but it falls over (skips and wont read CD's), so its a DIY mod project waiting in the wings. Anyone know where I can get a transport and spares?

tnx //lamboy

lAmBoY, Jul 24, 2007
  15. peez

LinearMan

Common problem on these, I'm afraid. but the good news is that a new transport may not be required. Take a look here:

http://sites.ecosse.net/chunky/frames/micromega.htm

LinearMan, Jul 24, 2007
  16. peez

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

mine is the same, drawer doesnt close fully, the motor whips it in and out at a mental speed, which no doubt has worn the gearing over time. having it point slightly nose down in the rack fixes all of this, it reads all discs even if the door isn't flush, but looking at the fixings i doubt it ever was flush.

i've long considered getting the Burson hdam output pcb fitted to it, but decided against it and gave it to the old man instead, who greatly enjoys it's infectious timing with Jazz.

you could always put a daisy cd-pro mech in instead and canabalise the lid.

sq225917, Jul 24, 2007
  17. peez

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Thanks but I have tried this. I also experienced the weird effect of working with the lid off, then not when its on. I expected circuits being affected by the torque effect of the lid when fitted - but I wasn't convincing myself either at the time.

I just mailed the mmega service dept for advice.

rgds //craig

lAmBoY, Jul 24, 2007
  18. peez

peez

i got a new laser mech 3 / 4 months ago from ebay, a guy in holland, cost about £20, i have found a new band helps and silicone grease on the mech sorts em right out , cleaning all the connectors with isopropyl helps too.

re the advice, as mine works fully , has done since new and has only had the laser changed as i found one new, i am prob bettter off keeping it and getting it tweaked, as i like the sound but just want a bit more of it all, a clock and stage 6 chip might be a good way forward......if i can find the chip?

peez, Jul 24, 2007
  19. peez

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

upgrade boards are rarer than hens teeth thesedays but occasionally come up on the Bay, though usually stage 1-2 4-5 boards and not the top spec.

the clock is worthwhile along with local regulation for the clock

sq225917, Jul 24, 2007
  20. peez

tuga

Come on: you owe it to yourself to at least listen to one of current players mentioned above... :)

This year I decided to replace my old Audio Alchemy, bought a new DAC and was so impressed I replaced the rest of my >10 year old gear as well. I have been listening a lot more...and with so much pleasure! :boogie:

tuga, Jul 24, 2007
Ask a Question