No sound on my Elizabethan transcriptor reel

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Kevin66, Aug 27, 2022.

1. Kevin66

Kevin66

The sound cut out on my reel to reel. I had cleaned the volume pots and wires look good. Valves checked and fine. I wonder if it could be a capacitor issue. Your help would be appreciated

Kevin66, Aug 27, 2022
  2. Kevin66

Sergeauckland

It could be anything. Capacitors, resistors, output transformer, literally anything. You'll need a service manual, or at least a circuit diagram and some test equipment. At very least a signal generator and an oscilloscope.
    Note also that valve circuits use lethal voltages, so be very careful when poking around inside.

S

Sergeauckland, Aug 28, 2022
  3. Kevin66

Kevin66

That’s great. Many thanks. I will work through the advice you have given. Looks like I have a nice winter project. Has a lovely warm sound when playing so will be worth carrying on working on it. The Hunts capacitors definitely need changing but will also work through all the components. Thanks
    Kevin

Kevin66, Aug 28, 2022
    Sergeauckland likes this.
  4. Kevin66

Sergeauckland

Indeed, a nice winter project. I did something similar to a Ferrograph Series 6 I have. Nice to keep the old stuff working. If a coupling capacitor fails open circuit, then the result is usually silence. If it fails short-circuit, then the result is also usually silence, but then as well, the following valve will glow bright red as the current through the valve rises rapidly, and also burns out the cathode and anode resistors. If the following valve is an output valve like an EL84, then the output transformer suffers too.

If none of the valves are unusually bright, and nothing is visibly burnt out, then a poke around with a multimeter measuring voltages on the valve anodes, cathodes and grids and compare with what the service manual says they should be, (+-10% or so) will give you fair idea where the problem lies.

Also, with these early domestic machines, they had fairly complicated switching between play and record as in those days labour was cheap and components expensive, so they tried to avoid using more bits than they had to. These switches may be worn or even broken, so it may not be entirely electronic, it could be semi-mechanical. If the sound cut out whilst you were playing, it sounds to me more electronic, but if it just wouldn't start playing from stopped, then I'd look at mechanical as well.

S.

Sergeauckland, Aug 28, 2022
  5. Kevin66

Kevin66

Many thanks for the great advice. None of the valves are glowing brightly so probably open circuit. However I will re check the valves voltage etc. The mechanics I will also recheck, it is more complex than the old BSRs I have generally worked on. Have done some re lubrication but did stop mid play so I agree more electronic. I just love getting players back working after generally many years of being silent. It may take some time but will be worth it. Once again thanks for your advice. Kevin

Kevin66, Aug 28, 2022
    Sergeauckland likes this.
Ask a Question