Paired Quad 303s - which refurb house?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Corky, May 23, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky 20th Century survivor

Buckinghamshire and soon moving to Yorkshire
    I have a pair of Quad 303 power amps that I run from a modern pre and phono stage and they're bi-wired to a pair of Rogers LS7ts

I'm planning an overhaul (and upgrading components where appropriate) for them as a pair to be carried out by a pro outfit/service. I've come across a couple over on ebay in addition to Quad themselves and wondered if anyone has a view/recommendation to make?

Any ideas and thoughts much appreciated

Thanks
    :)

Corky, May 23, 2008
  2. Corky

lordsummit moderate mod

There's a lot of help available from www.flashbacksales.co.uk. I'd try either contacting them, or Quad themselves. I seem to remember them being astoundingly reasonable when I enquired about getting my 303 serviced a few years ago. I went valves instead however

lordsummit, May 24, 2008
  3. Corky

Thanks M'Lud :) I'll check them out. Trying to decide what to actually have done (apart from the obvious cap replacement) has been difficult :confused: Maybe they'll give me some ideas

Corky, May 24, 2008
  4. Corky

nando nando

tim da parvacinyi, alas EAR, , he will do it nicely,
    nando

nando, May 24, 2008
  5. Corky

Crikey! Now I'm seriously glad I posted this question - I had NO idea Tim De Paravicini would service my humble 303s... That would be seriously cool :)

Corky, May 24, 2008
  6. Corky

Neil

One of the best places is Net Audio. Their power supply board upgrade is a very serious improvement on standard. Well worth checking their website. Also Dada electronics seem to have a good reputation but I've no personal experience of then so can't comment.

Neil, May 24, 2008
  7. Corky

Andy 831

Corky as you are moving to Yorkshire there is a company advertising on ebay based in Wakefield servicing old Quad gear.

Andy 831, May 24, 2008
  8. Corky

Thanks for this; it's one of my problems - not knowing if an upgrade offered is indeed an upgrade... :confused:

Corky, May 24, 2008
  9. Corky

Thanks Andy, they sound like one of the ones I've been considering. It was a Wakefield team that supplied the bridged din plugs to allow me to run them as monoblocks.

It's so tricky - I want to have sensible upgrades added while they are being overhauled but don't want to loose what made me want them in the first place - not least their ability to tame those famously occasionally wayward tweeters on the Rogers LS7t's.

But the Quads are old and they do cough and crackle occasionally and are more or less bound to be leaking capacitors by now so are definitely next up for attention.

Corky, May 24, 2008
  10. Corky

Andy 831

Corky

My sounds much the same I did take the cover off and have a look at the caps which "looked" fine but being a nontechy they could well be knackered.

Anyway I talked to the guy at Wakefield (keeping vintage quad alive I think he calls himself now) I found him easy to talk too and he appeared very knowledgeable.

His prices were also remarkably low.(Having once had a foot in the Naim camp Quad service appears to be a fraction of the cost)

I have not had the 303 done yet as I have bought a 405-2 as well, however all will be going to these people for a service at some point.

If you do use him some feedback would be welcome.

Andy 831, May 25, 2008
Ask a Question