Parabolic dish mic options HELP

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Artista_CO, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Artista_CO

Artista_CO

Hello all, PLEASE HELP! LOL. I am new to this whole thing (and admittedly pretty dumb when it comes to electronics) I am building a 4-dish parabolic mic array for outdoor use. I will be recording with a Zoom H6n recorder. I am looking for microphone suggestions/insights. It appears that many dishes use lavalier mics. As I am 3D printing my own parabolic array, I have the opportunity to use pencil type condenser mics, But as I am new to this, I really have no idea what I should be looking at.

I do not have alot of money for this project, and I found a pair of mics for about $100 US. I am looking at these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CZ0RLU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would these be appropriate for my use? Or should I be looking at lavalier mics? I am hoping to stay in this same budget (About $200 US for 4 mics) The dishes will be connected via XLR cables to the Zoom recorder no more than 25' away. I am afraid that 10' is a bit close, so I purchased 25' cables.

Thank you so much!

I am not anywhere near adept at electronics - so homemade gear (mics, preamps etc) are not quite out of the question, but close. Off the shelf is preferred.

Artista_CO, Jan 7, 2021
  2. Artista_CO

Sergeauckland

I use a pair of Behringer B5 microphones for live recording, and they work well, the C2 is similar, but I understand has a brighter sound, less neutral. That may not matter in a parabolic reflector, as the frequency response will be anything but flat.

However, I'm assuming your reflector array will be used mostly outside, and a condenser mic like the C2 isn't really suitable for outdoors use. They are badly affected by humidity and condensation, so I think you'd be a lot better off with a small dynamic microphone.

As to Lavalier microphones, one issue I can think of is that they are normally omni-directional, whereas what you need by virtue of wanting a reflector, is for much greater sensitivity in the forward direction, i.e. a cardioid microphone.

What's the application for such an array? Sounds interesting, so Good Luck.

S.

Sergeauckland, Jan 8, 2021
Ask a Question