Peachtree Nova 220SE v Hegel h80

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Romulus, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Romulus

Romulus

Both components are Integrated Amplifiers with DAC, both according to reviews are well built and have no problems in driving most Loudspeakers to loud levels in an average room and lastly both have obtained very good reviews in reference to sound quality in that both give a slice of high end Audio for under £1,500.00. I want arrange to hear both amplifiers, it will not be simple because the HiFi Dealers are far away from where I live (In Devon).

Has any one heard these two amplifiers, I would be very interested on your views on their sound and whether both would suit Rock and Classical music.

Thank you

Romulus, Dec 5, 2014
  2. Romulus

Tenson Moderator

I know this reply is a bit late, but in your shoes I would get the Hegel. I don't like equipment that puts valves in for no good reason (there is no good reason!). It's just to make it retro and cool.

Tenson, Dec 19, 2014
  3. Romulus

Romulus

Many thanks for your reply Tenson. Have you heard any Peachtree Amplifiers in any systems? According to one reviewer of the Peachtree 220Se Amp that switching on the Tube option on the amp seems to give a more organic sound with a deeper and larger soundstage. It seems to me to have the option on hybrid amplifier is more than just a cosmetic addition, or are you saying that if the amp was 100% based on Tube it would give a better sound quality?

Romulus, Dec 20, 2014
  4. Romulus

Tenson Moderator

I haven't heard either. I know which one is designed primarily for sound quality and which is designed to be retro and cool, though.

If switching on the tube changes the sound, then it is adding distortion and covering details.

I'd rather have a pure amplifier that gives all the details. If a clean amplifier doesn't sound good you need to fix a problem elsewhere in your system, not cover it with distortion.

That's my experience anyway.

Tenson, Dec 20, 2014
  5. Romulus

Romulus

Yes I heard that argument before, many years ago when it was in reference to standard amplifiers which contained for example treble and bass controls(eg. Nad & Luxman amps) and the advantages of minimalistic amps (eg Naim amps).

But if an amplifier is based on two ways of being driven and has an option to choose one way while bypassing completely the other way can it not be argued that no overall distortion is involved to the amplifier?

Romulus, Dec 21, 2014
  6. Romulus

Tenson Moderator

I think tone controls are a great thing, they correct a problem not mask it. Importantly they also give the user direct control over the sound they like to hear, rather than a tube which can not be adjusted in any way.

Okay yes you can turn the tube off in the Peachtree, that's good news to hear :)

I still worry about why someone put it there in the first place, I'm convinced it is for marketing and retro cool. Why would the designer build a perfectly good solid state amplifier and DAC and then after it all works well sit back have a coffee and admire a good job. Then stop and think 'no wait my job is not finished, what this needs is a tube!'. Possibly the design sounded bad and needed a softer sound? I doubt it. It was simple marketing.

I suspect all the solid state electronics remain in line even with the tube switched on so the amp topology is not really changed I guess. It's an effects switch. If I had a choice of either unit I would get the Hegel. Just my opinion.

Tenson, Dec 21, 2014
Ask a Question