Pergolesi Stabat Mater - which one(s) to buy?

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by JANDL100, Aug 17, 2008.

1. JANDL100

JANDL100

I'm not really happy with the two recordings I have, and I want to buy a good one.

Any personal favourites? And why?

JANDL100, Aug 17, 2008
  2. JANDL100

Marc

But what are those two recordings that didn't make you happy?

Anyway, in short, here's 'my story':
    In my younger years I was, together with the young Salieri, mesmerized by the boy's choir in the movie Amadeus, singing 'Quando corpus morietur', with organ accompaniment.
    So I bought a CD: Societa Cameristica di Lugano, directed by Edwin Loehrer (Erato). And I learned that the version in Amadeus actually was an arrangement! No boy's choir and organ, but a chamber string orchestra with, in this case, two rather vibrant female singers: Lucie Ticinelli-Fattori and Maria Minetto.
    I got used to it, but was more pleased with my second purchase: Emma Kirkby/James Bowman/Christopher Hogwood (L'Oiseau Lyre). A bit too smooth, though, I thought.
    So I was even more pleased with my third purchase: Gillian Fisher/Michael Chance/Robert King (Hyperion). More expressive, and Michael Chance in his prime.
    After that, I 'encountered' another recording, with Barbara Bonney/Andreas Scholl/Christophe Rousset (Decca). I think many people would regard this one as almost perfect, so this might be your choice. But personally I feel that Bonney and Scholl don't match that well together.
    Then I went to a concert, to hear this masterpiece live, with the Concerto Italiano and Rinaldo Alessandrini. I was flabbergasted! Especially the contralto part was beautifully sung by Sara Mingardo. But also the soprano, Gemma Bertagnolli, was very good, and Alessandrini and his orchestra took care of a warm-felt accompaniment.
    So I bought their CD recording (Opus 111, now Naïve), and this one I like the most.

The question remains: what are the two recordings that didn't make you happy? Alessandrini and King?

Then I truly apologize that I wasted your time. ;)

Marc, Aug 23, 2008
  3. JANDL100

JANDL100

Hi Marc - and thanks for your extensive reply!

I deliberately didn't mention my two 'failures' - although that is too harsh a word, perhaps - as I didn't want to bias or influence any replies.

My 2 recordings are Rene Jacobs on HM and the Loehrer that you mention on Erato.

I posted this same thread on another forum and as a result of several replies (!) I have now purchased the Alessandrini recording that you also recommend! It should be with me in a few days.

I shall now also look out for the Robert King recording. I'll probably give the Bonney/Scholl CD a miss as I don't generally like the sound of Scholl's voice - just a personal thing, I guess.

I'll let you know how I get on with Alessandrini.

Thanks again, Jerry.

P.S. I also like a version of the 1st movement as sung by Leslie Garrett (of all people!) on a DVD Video disc. Very 'operatic', but good within its own context.

JANDL100, Aug 24, 2008
  4. JANDL100

Marc

Must be a forum with several connaisseurs! ;)

Enjoy the listening!

Marc, Aug 24, 2008
Ask a Question