Personality and music?

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Rodrigo de Sá, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Rodrigo de Sá

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Dear all:

This is a test on extra-introversion (with a few more things added, not really important). The main thing to know is if you are an introvert or and extravert.

If you would like to do so, answer the test, state your score and then state the top three musical pieces you love the most.

You'll find the test here.

The test is not a very accurate one, but at least it is on line...

Rodrigo de Sá, Jul 4, 2007
  2. Rodrigo de Sá

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

INTJ
    (89, 81, 25, 11)

The music question is far harder – I’ve struggled to narrow down to ten in the past, three is at the moment impossible though I suspect it would include Mingus - Black Saint & The Sinner Lady. I like too many genres, i.e. how do you compare Joy Division’s Unknown Pleasures with Bach’s Brandenbergs or Cannonball Aderley’s Somethin’ Else? I just can’t do it!

Tony.

TonyL, Jul 4, 2007
  3. Rodrigo de Sá

OK.

My score:
    INTJ
    Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
    Strength of the preferences %
    89 88 75 22

Buxtehude preludes in g minor, d minor and such; Some Dufay motets; Bach's last fugue and PF n4 WTC.

But you are right, Tony: I should not have asked for 3 pieces of music. Let's say 3 genres, exemplified.

It seems we share some personality traits...

Rodrigo de Sá, Jul 4, 2007
  4. Rodrigo de Sá

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

A Jungian personality type test thread appeared on pfm recently here. I was very surprised how many INTJs were present given it is one of the rarer personality types (1% of population IIRC). I guess these forums are home to a disproportionate number of people who work in IT (as I did) which tips the balance in that direction. This is the third time I've taken this online test now and whilst my individual scores vary a little (my result on pfm is subtly different) I never come up as anything but INTJ.

Tony.

TonyL, Jul 4, 2007
  5. Rodrigo de Sá

sunnyside_up

I have taken these tests quite a few times over the years and always come up as INTJ.... and guess what? I work in IT too!:D

Music: among my favourites are Bach in general, (especially the cantatas), Monteverdi's Vespers, and at the moment I'm on a Bartok kick.

I also like to keep a detailed catalogue of all my music, and ensure that my CDs and DVDs are shelved in alphabetical, and then chronological, order. I just can't help it.....

It's funny that you started a thread on this topic, Rodrigo, because I was only thinking the other day how much at home I feel here. I haven't posted here very much but the atmosphere is civilised and there's not so much activity going on that I feel overwhelmed. Other forums that I visit are more like busy, noisy pubs or clubs, but this one is like a little bookshop with comfortable sofas and a few other friendly people browsing. I find this very comforting. :)

sunnyside_up, Jul 4, 2007
  6. Rodrigo de Sá

Joe

INFP for me; 78 12 25 67

As far as music genres goes, I suppose romantic classical, early blues and indie/punk are my favourites.

My CDs are all over the shop though. I'm untidy by nature, but have a winning smile.

Joe, Jul 4, 2007
  7. Rodrigo de Sá

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Your Type is
    ENTJ
    Extraverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
    22 62 62 56

and i'm split musically between indie, classical and alt-folk.

sq225917, Jul 4, 2007
  8. Rodrigo de Sá

Tertonmike

I scored:

ENTJ
    Extraverted Intuitive Thinking Judging

22 62 25 33

Music Prefs:

1. 60s/70s folk-rock and follow-ons: Fairport, R.Thompson, S.Denny etc;
    2. 50s/60s Blue Note/Verve/Riverside jazz;
    3. Mordant/topical/satirical singer-songwriters: Brel, Lehrer, Ochs, Newman, Thackray......

with Baroque chamber music a close 4th!

What's all that add up to?:confused:

Tertonmike, Jul 5, 2007
  9. Rodrigo de Sá

Joe

Excellent taste?

Joe, Jul 5, 2007
  10. Rodrigo de Sá

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

ENTJ
    33 25 1 22

Interesting, as I'm usually ENTP. Guess there's not a lot of difference there.

I work in IT too, and am sick of it!

Music would be mainly rock/psytrance/indie/pop

Three favourite pieces of music is far too small to come out with a list for.

domfjbrown, Jul 5, 2007
  11. Rodrigo de Sá

tones compulsive cantater

67 12 38 33

Clearly a baroquen person.

tones, Jul 5, 2007
  12. Rodrigo de Sá

Yes, my view exactly. In fact that is why I call myself this club's bore: in the olden days the Pall Mall etc. clubs of London, there was space for introverts...

And there was always a bore, complaining of modern times...

Rodrigo de Sá, Jul 5, 2007
  13. Rodrigo de Sá

sunnyside_up

I don't find you a bore: on the contrary, your posts are illuminating and interesting!:)

It is fascinating to see how many introverts have similar musical tastes.

It has taken me quite a few years to accept my introversion as a positive trait; I think society in general tends to think of introversion negatively. People often confuse shyness with introversion and they are quite different, although many introverts are shy. I am both, but I am now happy to be that way, and I don't think I need "fixing" any more!

sunnyside_up, Jul 6, 2007
  14. Rodrigo de Sá

It is indeed possible that introverts like classical (in the broadest sense) music more than extraverts... this would be interesting to find.

thinking of musicians, many performers I know are introverted (it is true most performers I know are organists...)

I managed in the past to fake an extraverted personality. It works fine, but it really exhausts me. And sometimes one is too much aware of the faking and cannot refrain from saying to oneself: what the hell am I doing here and behaving like that!

But being and extravert, or at least being able to behave like one, has many advantages: you can drive your point home, people admire you more and therefore you have better control of what happens to you.

Being an introvert, of course, has huge advantages because there are things that extraverts just don't seem to see. Perhaps the reverse is true: I could never understand the idea of 'having fun' in parties or on just loitering about with people.

But I do not thing an introvert needs fixing at all. Sometimes I think it is the other way round! It just happens that in this crazy world of ours the extravert is most often on top. This is, I think, an american thing...

But then Thomas Mann often spoke about his introversion as being a handicap: he envied the happy go lucky guys to whom life is easy.

Rodrigo de Sá, Jul 8, 2007
  15. Rodrigo de Sá

JCL

I think that 99% of the time, the more extrovert the performer, the less talented they are. Presentation over content it you like.

JCL, Jul 8, 2007
  16. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

Hmm, my "score":

INTJ
    Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
    Strength of the preferences %
    89 38 1 67

My top three musical pieces:

AoF
    Clavierübung III
    WTC

Anybody surprised??

pe-zulu, Jul 8, 2007
  17. Rodrigo de Sá

so, most of us are introverts... that is perhaps why this thread is full of bach, not because we are 'baroquen' but because we are introverts. :)

Rodrigo de Sá, Jul 11, 2007
Ask a Question