Philips HP890's hopefully tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Aug 16, 2003.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

My Sen's are driving me mad now as I can't listen to any bass driven music at all, I think the distortion is getting worse. And I can't really afford the Grado's at £100 as I am a student after all. I've read so much good stuff about the HD890 and I am convinced they will be better than my Senhieser HD495s. People have compared to them to the HD600's although they admit they are not as good. Thanks Paul for originaly suggesting these.

If I can buy them from Dixons tomorrow I shall write a review when they have burned in.

amazingtrade, Aug 16, 2003
  2. amazingtrade

GAZZ

I woun't buy a battery from Dixons, let alone anything else!!!

GAZZ

GAZZ, Aug 17, 2003
  3. amazingtrade

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

You and me both Gazz, sworn never ever to buy anything from dixons again...

davidcotton, Aug 17, 2003
  4. amazingtrade

I've just bought them, btw I hate Dixons too, but they were cheapest place that sold them which is unusual. They are very comfortable so far. The sound is so far very full on, the music seems to flow effortlesly where as before it always seemed to strugle. The bass is deep but NOT to deep that it spoils the mid range. The treble seems a tad bright so far but I think thats just because it needs burning in. So far I prefer them to my HD495's.

The cable seems very high quality as well, its much thicker than the HD495's.

The only thing I am worried about is these phones go very very loud without disorting so I better watch them volumes levels.

The drums have a lot of impact, you get real bass with these, the HD495's just produced bass which bordered into mid range. So far very impressed but I am writing this as in my first audition. A proper review will appear in the review section later.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2003
    amazingtrade, Aug 17, 2003
  5. amazingtrade

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Yep, by all accounts the HP890s are very bassy cans and the sound quality should improve as they get worn in. Tonally, I believe they are somwhat a cross between a Sennheiser HD580 and a Beyer DT770, and are very easy to drive, and they can go to an ear melting 139 dB!!!

PBirkett, Aug 17, 2003
  6. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

139 dB - that's INSANE!!!!

HOw much were they, Amazingtrade, out of curiosity?

My 580s are very nice, but they don't quite cut it with out and out rawk (punk etc) - they're good, but a bit TOO refined for that - though psy-trance and other bass heavy stuff rules...

And yeah - my old Sennheiser 435s can't handle bass much either - guess it goes with the territory on the 4xx series..

domfjbrown, Aug 18, 2003
  7. amazingtrade

They were £50 from a certain evil store owened by DSG PLC with a "dix" some where in the same. The also has sons.

I have written a review here

https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?s=&threadid=692

They seem to get a good at rating www.headfi.com

I lot of people on there said these phones sound fun, because they hae a big bold and powerful sound. They still work with more relaxing stuff too. I haven't tried them with classical yet though.

They appear to be very easy drive, they never seem like they are stuggle like my old HD495's did. The cable is very thick as well, and it takes standard Sen HD400XX cables.

amazingtrade, Aug 18, 2003
Ask a Question