Phono Stage Options

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Vereina, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Vereina

Vereina

Hi everybody,

I was interested to see the thread about balanced phono stages, because it is relevant to what I am currently considering. But I'd appreciate getting some more general advice and opinions.

I have an LP12/Ekos/Lingo, currently with a Klyde that needs replacing. I am considering cartridges like the Dynavector XX2 mk2 and the Ortofon Kontrapunkt C. I'm using a Linto phono stage.

I guess my requirements are:

1. Worthwhile improvement over the Linto.
    2. Suitable for use with cartridges such as the XX2 mk2.
    3. Balanced outputs (to connect to my ATC SCA2 pre-amp).

Options I am wondering about include the Whest PS.30R (which is pretty much the most I would want to spend) and the Origin Live Ultra, but I would be pleased to spend less (the PS Audio GCPH, perhaps?).

I will obviously be trying to arrange some demos, once I have decided on a replacement for the Klyde, but would be most grateful for advice from any of you who have experience of suitable phono stages; although arranging home demos should be possible, there is a limit to how many I will realistically be able to do over the next month or two. (And if I don't find that anything significantly outperforms the Linto with my other kit, I'll be perfectly happy to stick with that ....)

Many thanks in advance for any replies!

Vereina, Feb 19, 2009
  2. Vereina

pmac

My first post!

If you are cosidering the Whest, the following review may be some help, although it is for the Whest Two, I would imagine that the PS30 is similar in presentation. The Allnic is sublime and is somewhat cheaper than the PS30, it is a must for demo IMHO.

Phono stages reviewed: Whest Two and Allnic 1200

Turntable: Roksan Radius 5 (Acrylic version) with Nima tonearm and Benz Micro Ace L cartridge

Amplifier: Tri-Vista 300 Integrated

Speakers: Dynaudio Audience 52SE and Stax 4040 Signature

Having used a Musical Fidelity X-LPS v3 for the last couple of years, I decided that a change (upgrade, of course) was in order. Firstly, I bought a Whest Two from a fellow “Wammer†and secondly, took advantage of the offer of a loan of an Allnic 1200 from Keith at “Purite Audioâ€Â.

Getting my hands on the Whest a few days ago, gave me the chance to put it through its paces first. Initial thoughts were that it was significantly better than the X-LPS. Every nuance of the signal from the low output mc cartridge was reproduced faithfully and accurately. The sound was much cleaner than I had been used to and all aspects of the music - highs, lows and midrange, came at me with lightning speed and accuracy. This was going to be a hard act to top, albeit ever so slightly clinical sounding, I thought the Whest to be the bargain of the century and that it would become a permanent fixture in my system. Vinyl replay had never sounded so good in my living room. What could the Allnic do that this didn't? Nothing ……………… or so I thought!

Enter the Allnic 1200, RIAA vacuum tube phono stage. I cued up the first track on Songbird (Eva Cassidy) and listened. I was truly shocked! Whereas the Whest surely did reproduce everything accurately, the Allnic made it sound sterile in comparison. Music just poured in bucketloads from the speakers, not coloured or syrupy, it still had the amazing definition of the Whest, but (and it`s a big but) it was just SO musical. Not taking anything for granted, I decided to give it a thorough test with some very differing types of music. So, on went Genesis (Selling England by the Pound), Led Zeppelin (II), Dire Straits (1st), Bob Dylan (Blood on the Tracks) and Roxy Music (For Your Pleasure). It breezed through them all, never once sounding strained or out of its depth. I was astonished at the big soundstage it produced, markedly better than the Whest, with every instrument and vocalisation placed perfectly. The background was remarkably silent and the notes had a real density to them. I loved the effortless way it coped with a Jimmy Page guitar solo one minute and Eva Cassidy`s remarkable voice the next. My wife, who has a pretty good ear for these things, summed it all up when she remarked that our hi-fi “now has a soulâ€Â, true words indeed. Believe it or not, she urged me to buy it there and then!

A lot of you will, no doubt, own higher end systems than mine, but to me, in my living room, this really was vinyl reproduction at its best.

Now, don`t get me wrong, the Whest Two is a very good phono stage, and would enhance many better systems than mine, but the Allnic 1200 is a serious quantum leap in musical enjoyment. Obviously, there is a significant price difference between the two units (£650 against £1245), but there is a massive improvement in performance too.

The highest compliment I can pay it, is to say that the Allnic 1200 is NOT going back, I have arranged to buy it from Keith (great bloke to deal with IMO) and I would strongly urge any of you, who may be considering a new phonostage, to include this on your shortlist (and, of course, demo it at home, in YOUR system). You, like me, will probably keep it.

Link to site (because it looks good too!)

http://www.allnicaudio.com/eng/products/view.htm?brandcode=0010040000000001&page=1

pmac, Feb 20, 2009
  3. Vereina

Arlequen Vinyl Addict

Obviously, there is a significant price difference between the two units (£650 against £1245), but there is a massive improvement in performance too.

Funny!
    I don't understand why they haven't compared the similarly priced Whest Audio PS30R with the Allnic 1200

Just like to compare my BMW 530 i to the Fiat Panda .. and than to go scream around I won hands down...

Arlequen, Feb 20, 2009
  4. Vereina

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

I'd be interested in trying the new Rega phono stage (can't remember what it's called, but almost certainly named after one of Jupiter's moons!) and something from the Sutherland stable, if you can be bothered to import one. Also, what happened to all the Graham Slee hype? Thought they were the daddy under a grand?

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Feb 20, 2009
  5. Vereina

FrankDeckard

Graham Slee is very good, as is the Audiomat 1.5...if you are into sand phono stages.

The new Rega is excellent. It's the top of the line phono cart that is not as great.

FrankDeckard, Feb 20, 2009
  6. Vereina

pmac

Who are you referring to when you say "they"? This is my own review and I covered the issue of the Whest PS30 v Whest Two in the preamble. The reason it was not compared with the PS30 is that I didn`t own one to compare it, I did own the Whest Two though. In any case, I think you will find that the Whest PS30 is £1,700 - considerably more than the Allnic - about £455 if I am not mistaken...... (and was it not you who criticised the price difference between the other 2 models???)

Oh, and by the way, a BMW 530i is around four to five times the cost of a Fiat Panda ................... a reasonable analogy? I don`t think so.

pmac, Feb 24, 2009
  7. Vereina

Johnj

The Orgin Live has great bass but is coloured The Whest 30r is one of the best you can get; but I cannot hear any difference between going Balanced on the Whest and single ended so may also worth considering the Aqvox as well
    I think the Whest 30r is better than the Alinic 1500 myself but this will depend to some extent on what you looking for; there are certain things the 1500 will do better than anything else so best to hear for yourself

Johnj, Feb 28, 2009
  8. Vereina

robM

Johnj - The allnic is good, I tried one out a while back. I liked it until I heard the PS.30R in my ATC100ASL setup...no contest!!!

The whestTWO is absolutely nothing like the PS.30R, it shares nothing with it apart from the name 'whest'. I had a whestTWO in my office until it got upgraded. The 30R is a sublime performer and worthy of any sub-£12000 turntable setup. The whestTWO on the otherhand is great if you have a tt setup up to £2000. I certainly wouldn't use my Winfeld into a whestTWO and expect it to bring out everything the Winfeld can pull out of the black stuff.

Like your goodself Johnj, I also own the 30RDT which I just love. I don't know if you compared the 30R to the 30RDT but the difference is quite staggering.

Vereina - why don't you give whest a call as they are offering trade-ins on your old phonostage if you meet the criterior (see their website).

Rob

robM, Mar 4, 2009
  9. Vereina

Pure_Carbon Diamond Tipped.

Tom Evans Groove or Groove + ?

Pure_Carbon, Mar 6, 2009
  10. Vereina

robM

that's if you like that Tom Evans type sound....

robM, Mar 7, 2009
  11. Vereina

Johnj

Hi Rob
    Yes totally agree with you for me the 30r is a lot better just some people might perfer it more romantic sound. The 30DT is sensentational the only thing I think is better is the REF but thats a whole different ball game

Johnj, Mar 8, 2009
Ask a Question