Planning permission

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Coda II, May 12, 2005.

1. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

A few threads on building recently so thought this might be of interest.

Nine months after instructing an architect our planning permission has finally come through :)

Nothing particularly fancy; we are taking down some extensions (less than 30 sq m in total) and rebuilding a bit bigger. The only conclusion I have come to so far is that architects and planning officers are involved in a game. Niether particularly wants to play, and if either were actually concerned with the best solution for any given project they might try going about things a bit differently. I'm sure there are all sorts of bits of legislation which mean they can't do this and the public do have a habit of interfering (ie the neighbours). The sole purpose of the client in all this seems to be to write cheques.
    On the whole it hasn't been a bad experience and I'm not actually knocking the professionals as such, but it does seem a remarkably inefficient way of going about things.
    The good bit is that we are now one step closer to being able to do something about the way our spaces sound, the list of things that can get sorted once we have removed ceramic floor tiles/internal windows/low ceilings just keeps getting longer.

Any tips for things to include in the design now (I'm guessing separate mains spur is an obvious one) gratefully received.

Coda II, May 12, 2005
  2. Coda II

T-bone Sanchez

9 months! we get plans drawn-up, submitted and passed in about 6 weeks. There must have been alot of re-drawing to take that long.

T-bone Sanchez, May 12, 2005
  3. Coda II

Drawings submitted - rejected - re-drawn - submitted - rejected - re-drawn - submitted - accepted!

Coda II, May 12, 2005
  4. Coda II

T-bone Sanchez

Ive got say that to be rejected a second time isnt good practice, in my experience with planning offices and architects (alot) the planning officer always gives in-depth reasons into rejection and what they need to see to get over it. Spose it could be down to a very poor planning office. Did you get charged for each set of drawings??

T-bone Sanchez, May 12, 2005
  5. Coda II

The first application we were advised (by the planning officer, after consideration) to withdraw as we could then re-submit under the same application, the officer did discuss with the architect, but obviously not enough! We withdrew (on advice) the second at which stage the officer did actually give a fair bit of detail as you suggest, but we then had to start with a fresh application as only one re-submission is allowed.

Charges - not for re-drawing as such, but we are now up to 110 A1 copies at 2.50 each which adds up!

Coda II, May 12, 2005
Ask a Question