Plinth for a Garrard 401....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by la toilette, Dec 20, 2007.

1. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

I've just bought a 401 as a project, and will be looking to build a new plinth for it in the new year. Haven't seen the deck in the flesh yet as it was delivered to my brothers house, so fingers crossed that it's not completely buggered :D. I'm gonna try a diy service....

There's loads of info and opinions on the web about what's the best sort of plinth for them, and it seems to boil down to either a relatively lightweight quality ply based design or a high mass alternative. I'd originally planned to make a stone one out of one of Purbeck beds (attractive fossiliferous crystalline limestone), but there seem to be more votes for lightweight than heavyweight. Anyone have experience of both?

la toilette, Dec 20, 2007
  2. la toilette

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

That'll be fun, but be careful ... others may correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere that some of the mechanism was plated in some kind of nasty poisonous shit.

Uncle Ants, Dec 20, 2007
  3. la toilette

Blimey, I'll have to make sure I don't lick it clean then! I'll look into that, cheers, I have some latex gloves so I'll take precautions if necessary..

la toilette, Dec 20, 2007
  4. la toilette

ADPully

Ive had a 301 slate plinth rega RB 250 and Orofon MC It was fab in lower registers and always listenable occasionally bloaty however treble was always a bit dull and unspacious. Subsequent experimentation with some old SME arms showed me that the garrard wasnt responsible for this shut in treble the rega arm was.

I think one needs to consider what type of presentation you prefer and also what arm you are going to use when deciding wheter a heavy or light plinth is best for you.

If you listen to 70's rock with slate anda rega - things can be a little underwhelming - dont get me wrong this a still a viable option if you are a bass boogie person and dont need a spacious sound. The upper bass is very foottapping and cd players are seen off.

Now a days i prefer a lonnng listening sessions with prog rock and an "open sound" works better for me than the "dynamic sound" Generalising quite a lot skelital plinths and airy unipivot type arms suit this sound better ie when you are fighting to retreve spacial detail from 30 year old records

you pays your money and takes your choice If you buy second hand equipment wisely you can always pass it on an learn something on the wayso there is no wrong decision

Others may disagree but please consider
    Mr Headbanger - Garrard slate plinth rega or solid arms
    Mr Space awareness Garrard light plinth unipivot type arms

Andy

ADPully, Dec 20, 2007
  5. la toilette

Machineman

Machineman, Dec 20, 2007
  6. la toilette

freefallrob

freefallrob, Dec 21, 2007
  7. la toilette

Thanks guys. Well, I might just make two plinths then, one of each type, so I can try both myself.

Those Slatedeck plinths look nice, but they're bloody expensive :eek:. I'll make one out of Purbeck myself as I work with stone, and should be able to sort a decent finish - and Purbeck is more attractive (IMHO - the bed I'm planning to use is full of tiny fossils) and a bit more scratch resistant than slate, although working it will take longer.

Loads of design ideas on the web, the planning stage may take a while ;).

la toilette, Dec 21, 2007
  8. la toilette

Another quick aside; at present I have a Linn Basic LV-V (coming with the 401) or a Grace G707 (currently on my LP12) to maybe use with the Garrard. Do you think either of these is potentially a half-decent match (I'm not well acquainted with tonearm design and technology so don't know the differences between unipivot and not etc)? From what I've read the LV-V is pretty much an entry level arm and perhaps I'd be better selling it on to help fund a better alternative.

It seems I could pick up an RB250 on a planar 2 for not too much, but if it's not a great match then maybe a waste of effort. The SME 3009 seems to be a popular choice but it would push my cheap project towards something a bit more serious, and I may have to sell my LP12 to pay for everything - which is OK as long as the 401 works out :)

Any more help appreciated.....

la toilette, Dec 22, 2007
  9. la toilette

mick parry stroppy old git

La toilette (strange name)

The 401 will work ok with a 3009 but it is best regarded as a stop gap.

The RB250 or RB300 will be a great improvement especially if you get it upgraded with the Incognito mod.

As regards to the plinth, this is the area where you will get the best return.

The Loricraft one is best copying in the sense that you need a solid heavy base to support a light platform carried on squashballs. The old 401 plinths were a disaster and really let the 401 down badly.

I live in Swindon and you are welcome to have a listen to mine just so as you can judge how a well set up 401 can sound.

Mine is a 401 in a Loricraft plinth, a Naim Aro arm with a Dynavector 17D3, a Loricraft PSU 80 and a Naim Prefix.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Dec 24, 2007
  10. la toilette

That's quite interesting, I thought from what I'd read that the 3009 was a popular choice.....

Sounds good, I reckon I could pick up a complete Planar 2 with rb250 for less than a ton and in fact saw a rb300 go for about £80-90 on fleabay.

Thanks Mick, if I find the time in the new year I might pm you about this bit if I may. Cheers, Dave (not such a strange name ;))

la toilette, Dec 26, 2007
  11. la toilette

mick parry stroppy old git

Dave (much better name)

The SME3009/S2 was popular because it was designed to take a MM cartridge and get every ounce of sound out of it. MC cartridges were very expensive in real terms back in the eighties, so most people settled for a MM cartridge and the 3009 was the best arm at a reasonable price.

I went from a 3009 to a RB300 with a cheap MC cartridge and the difference was huge, so aim for the 300 if you can.

Many people really rave about the Incognito wiring mod and I believe this costs about £140 but you need to check that out.

The biggest single upgrade is getting shot of the SME plinth which caused wow and flutter and get a good solid Loricraft plinth or even a clone. It really does improve the sound like nothing else.

You let me know when you want to have a listen, the invitation is open ended.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Dec 27, 2007
  12. la toilette

I got hold of the 401 a couple of days ago and have just had a chance to fire it up to see what's what. It's slightly cosmetically challenged, but not too bad and should clean up a bit. The good news is that it runs quietly and steadily, with only a minor speed adjustment required.

The Basik arm has a Technics head and an Audio Technica cartridge fitted (dunno what model) and it all sounds pretty good even as it is, which kind of surprised me! Happy days.

I intend to sell my old deck on in the next few weeks and then I'll know how much I'll be able to spend on a new arm and cartridge. Might be able to get a few quid for the existing plinth and Basik arm too come to think of it. :)

la toilette, Dec 29, 2007
Ask a Question