Plugs, sockets and wires

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tertonmike, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Tertonmike

Tertonmike

I guess a lot of people have the same dilemma - too many plugs, not enough sockets...so you have to use an adapter/board for some equipment and maybe can only plug in one piece of kit directly to the wall. But (assuming plugging in directly provides cleaner power due to the shorter path):

* how do you decide which unit should have its own dedicated socket?
    * should it be the source or the amp.;
    * ...and if the amp., which - phono stage, pre- or power?
    * does the answer vary with the source?
    * is the only satisfactory answer a complete re-wire with a dedicated ring main and enough sockets to take all your equipment?

Or does none of this matter a toss?

And while we're at it, if you have aftermarket power cords, but not enough to go round, which unit should get the fancy lead?

Tertonmike, Nov 1, 2006
  2. Tertonmike

julian2002 Muper Soderator

experiment and trust your ears is really the only answer. some kit is more susceptible to mains noise than others - or is more obviously effected by it in that particular system. usual culprits are digital, turntables and pre-amps but some can be rock solid without any faffing.
    my current system has a chinese power filter with the amps running off the bypass sockets (no filtering) and the squeezebox and dac running off the 'digital' sockets. amps and dac have higher class spangly wire than the squeezebox. this seems to work best.

julian2002, Nov 1, 2006
  3. Tertonmike

zanash

good advice ......

or feed your main source of the best mains feed ....

zanash, Nov 1, 2006
  4. Tertonmike

nando nando

hi zanash, the most delicate item that i found to be more sensative to mains grime is the source, but like julian said, you have to experiment in your own home as homes do differ from mains stabillity, e.g./ if you have ," let's say" a 6 way well built mains adaptor block i found that the source worked better on the last socket ,..regards nando

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2006
    nando, Nov 1, 2006
  5. Tertonmike

zanash

I rebuilt my block ....all the outlets are paralleled so sound the same

zanash, Nov 1, 2006
Ask a Question