PMC twenty 23 with what amp ??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by P2tol, May 20, 2018.

1. P2tol

P2tol

hi all, not new to Hi-Fi but new to this forum—- SO , be gentle with me please . Current system is project experience t/t with rondo red mc cartridge , roksan k3 cd, marantz streamer, and tag mclaren 60i amp. I’ve just ordered some pmc twenty 23’s as they have great reviews and are the ideal sizes for my room. Couple of questions really
    Will the tag amp power them? I suspect I will have to upgrade the amp , but have always liked my current set up .
    When I upgrade the amp I will try and audition the pmc’s with different amps but have sort of narrowed it down to roksan caspian m2, naim xs2, m/ fidelity m5i, moon 240, regs elicit. Have thought about Abrahamsen and electrocompaniet as well, but demoing these may be a problem any advice , owner reviews would be great , or what combos would you suggest — TIA

P2tol, May 20, 2018
  2. P2tol

SnowDog

Not a very busy forum is it? How much are you willing to spend? Best amp I have *ever* heard is Lavardin. You can pick em up for about £2000 second hand if you are lucky.

SnowDog, May 28, 2018
  3. P2tol

P2tol

Thanks for the reply Snowdog , budget is around the £2k mark but would prefer new . Nothing against s/h , had lots in the past and mostly been good buys .

P2tol, May 29, 2018
  4. P2tol

SnowDog

Best I have actually owned so far is my old Quad 99 - a little under your budget - so can't help. Do PMC have a any faves they recommend? They may have a demo room. I used to actually do IT for them as an external contractor and never realised until much later what was going on there - I only saw the office - nice people - give em a ring.

SnowDog, May 29, 2018
  5. P2tol

P2tol

After your reply I looked up lavardin (fantastic reviews)and there’s two second hand amps in a Hi-Fi shop a couple of mile away (spooky ,an omen? ),I’ll pop and have listen — pmc recommend Bryston stuff but they out of my price range . At the mo I’m using them with my trusty tag mclaren 60i and to be honest they sound fantastic. I loved my old quad stuff many years ago

P2tol, May 29, 2018
  6. P2tol

SnowDog

Can I come? :)

I haven't looked at specs for a long time but I don't think the Lavardins are known for their high power - depends what you are after. I am intruiged what you think.

SnowDog, May 30, 2018
  7. P2tol

P2tol

Haha, join me anytime bud , looks like there’s only me and you here anyway , think about 70watts but that’s what my tag is anyway and my room ain’t that big !

P2tol, May 30, 2018
Ask a Question