Porting

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by chrisB1, Mar 24, 2014.

1. chrisB1

chrisB1

'Morning all.

Sadly, my Gale 401's are out of action pending re-foaming etc, & I'm reverting to an ancient pair of Lintons. Was thinking about porting these speakers, & wondered if anyone else has tried this (?) Questions are, loaded or open ports / round or square / size of port ? Any advice would be appreciated.

Chris

chrisB1, Mar 24, 2014
  2. chrisB1

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Chris,

Without the T&S figures for the driver and the box volume figures the results will be very unpredictable. Drivers built for sealed box loading have a quite different spec and won't usually work well in a ported cabinet.

Your only option is to experiment but I'd advise perhaps trying an aperiodic vent. A slot vent with thick porous foam filling/backing. Don't back load the cent with a tube or pipe.
    Done correctly this can give results similar to that by using the driver in a larger box. You are effectively trying to reduce the air pressure in the box without the usual port tuning.

A regular tuned port on such a loudspeaker is likely to give an excess of bass and rather large bass hump.

RobHolt, Mar 24, 2014
  3. chrisB1

chrisB1

Thanks Rob. Sounds like a bad idea then ! Just have to get the Gales back online PDQ.

Cheers,

Chris

chrisB1, Mar 24, 2014
Ask a Question