Power amp for the newbie

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by john 33aa, Mar 1, 2020.

1. john 33aa

john 33aa

hi all, I have a denon avr 3500 h receiver and have been considering adding in a nad c268 power amp to it. without knowing not much about power amps can I hook this up 2 ways? 1 being straight into the avr or 2 running the front [elac uni bookshelfs] into the amp for cleaner power to the fronts and then go to the avr. thanks so much after I am getting back into audio after 20 some years

john 33aa, Mar 1, 2020
  2. john 33aa

Yellow

The power amp would come AFTER the Denon. So, you would use the Denon as a pre-amp, firing into the NAD as a stereo amp. But, why would you want to do this? The Denon is 9.2 whereas the NAD is just a stereo (2-channel) amp for hi-fi play-back. The Denon you mention has the power-amplification required. No need for the NAD whatsoever.

Yellow, Mar 1, 2020
  3. john 33aa

john 33aa

I had in the past associated clean power with power amps so my thought was to switch to the nad power amp when I just want to go back to 2 channel playback but like I said I been out of the game for a while. really never associated recievers as clean power but I am open to being told that its not needed and do appreciate the replie

john 33aa, Mar 1, 2020
  4. john 33aa

john 33aa

forgot to add I have 4 bookshelfs with the elac unis being front and a powered amp

john 33aa, Mar 1, 2020
  5. john 33aa

Yellow

Not too sure what you mean by "clean power". A decent integrated or AV amp will give superb results through to your speakers. In your AV amp's audio settings, you'll be able to select a standard stereo setting for your audio usage whilst reverting back to a 5.1 or more set-up for your blu-rays etc.

Yellow, Mar 6, 2020
Ask a Question