Power amplifier regulated power supplies

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Aug 15, 2010.

1. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Good or bad idea?

Some companies such as Naim revert to fully regulated supplies for their bigger and more expensive amps, while others such as Exposure use (used?) it in all amplifiers. Cyrus power and integrated amps go regulated when you add a PSXR.

I can think of one quite important reason not to use them - limited dynamic headroom.
    In a conventional PSU the output under dynamic conditions can exceed the steady-state by a considerable margin.

Any view on the potential positives?

RobHolt, Aug 15, 2010
  2. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

It depends if your primary purpose is to deliver voltage or current. Regulation is better for voltage delivery, where as a nice big VA unregulated supply has a freedom to deliver current in the short term by not being regulated. And it depends how tight the regulation is, for power amps it can be too tight. Power amps are looking for low impedance supplies not necessarily voltage clamped supplies.

Swings (reg) and roundabouts (unreg) - as a kid I always prefered roundabouts and I still do.

Though I reg all things like dac or phono unit supplies because its a different compromise.

Remember a power amp is not one amplifier, it is a series of gain stages that have different supply needs. Some basically voltage gain, some voltage and current in about equality, and the output stage almost entirely current gain. Now one thing I have been meaning to try, but it means building higher current and voltage regs than I do at the moment, so haven't tried it (yet). The nva amp circuit can be split supplied so the input voltage stages could be seperately supplied and reg-ed and even perhaps the drivers, but I think maybe my ones draws too much current and are better off without it.

And remember what a regulator is and does, it is just a (usually unity gain) DC amplifier used to supply the voltage rails to an AC amplifier.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2010
    Richard Dunn, Aug 15, 2010
  3. RobHolt

Dave Simpson Plywood King

Sort of a thread crap but what makes one preamp *emphasize record surface noise more than others? Is it insufficient overload margins in the first stage or something else?

*the ticks and pops seem louder and last longer on some preamps vs others. I'm sure the "last longer" bit is my imagination but...

Dave Simpson, Aug 15, 2010
  4. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

On vinyl, yes could be input clipping prompted by a loud transient such as a scratch.
    Overload margins a HF can certainly be erm, marginal on some designs.

RobHolt, Aug 15, 2010
  5. RobHolt

I found it an odd attribute when I switched from American preamps to a British unit years ago-completely unexpected in other words. I didn't think it would be the bandwidth limiting since there's not much information beyond 20K to corrupt (or so I thought) but the British unit seemed quieter and less reactive to record noise.

Dave Simpson, Aug 16, 2010
  6. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

It is caused by current or voltage clipping.

In voltage clipping the signal hits the rail.

In current clipping the rail is pulled down to hit the signal.

This causes the transient to ring.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2010
    Richard Dunn, Aug 16, 2010
  7. RobHolt

Front end overload caused by cartridge signal vs an issue with insufficient power supply rails (or the former causes or combines with the latter making matters worse)...correct Richard? Pardon my ignorance with electronics....

8. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

Vinyl scratches and debris in the groove can literally make the cart try to take off, the transient in those low signal terms is enormous. If you don't have sufficient headroom on the rails, far more than is normally deemed necessary, you will clip. I use plus and minus 24v so I have a 48v swing so the phono amp copes very well. But remember there is very little current delivery from the cartridge so there are surprisingly high current demands on the circuit to meet this transient, so your normal Walmart plug type supply just runs out of instant current ability and the rails are pulled down dynamically on the transient.

So you need far bigger power supplies than convention would dictate when just considering the steady state signal. Plus the circuit design considerations require more than convention would dictate, but I don't want to go into too much detail.

This is simplistic as there are many other considerations to take into account.

9. RobHolt

Thanks-that's a perfectly understandable explanation for someone like me with zero electronics knowledge.

10. RobHolt

Tenson Moderator

I switched from unregulated to regulated on a power amp that already had very good PSRR and it got noticeable quieter. That is, it went from a tiny bit of background noise to none at all.

I think bass got a little more grippy, but actually my plan eventually is to use them just for mid and treble in an active design.

The amps are Greg Ball's SKA GB150. Interesting to hear your thoughts on that design Richard, since it is a little different to many.

Tenson, Aug 16, 2010
  11. RobHolt

nando nando

Richard have you ever played with choke regulated psu's if so what is your opinion,
    nando.

nando, Aug 16, 2010
  12. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

No, and no opinion.

13. RobHolt

nando nando

thanks, i

nando, Aug 16, 2010
  14. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

As I say best regulation for me is enormous overkill power supplies.

I have the Mk3 TDS monoblocks up and running at last. Input and current mirror is running on a 500va, drivers are running on 650va, outputs on 1000va. 4300va per amp pair :eek: I love big toroids.

I suppose I shouldn't say how good it is blah-blah-blah. But any of you who want to come and listen in Epping are welcome.

And surprisingly they have only twice overloaded the consumer unit on switch on and taken out the trip :D (once for each monoblock), I thought they would do it everytime, but it seems only first time, as long as there is some residual charge in the caps it just dims the lights for a moment.

15. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Bet those are heavy?

I've just finished servicing an Old Musical Fidelity P170 for a chap.
    Thats a dual mono beast with a pair of large toroids - possibly 500va each - into 4 x 22k uf caps.
    That makes a nice loud mechanical 'boing' at switch on accompanied by a slight flicker of the lights.

Yours must dim the whole street!

RobHolt, Aug 16, 2010
  16. RobHolt

nando nando

that's nothing like richard i love big toroids, john done my friends nu-vista 300's not only the psu weight a ton but when i switch it on here to try it trigered the fuse box and lights went dim, question for him was where is the step up power on from stand by to full on? answer: no need just put 30 amp fuse in the box, hence a hefty elec. bill, wife no happy, sound very happy.

nando, Aug 17, 2010
Ask a Question