Pre-amp advice sought - please.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Antipodean Brad, May 8, 2004.

1. Antipodean Brad

Antipodean Brad

As the newest member here let me firstly say a friendly hello to everyone. I have lurked for a while and now that I am certain that this group is friendly I have gathered the courage to join - and to ask my first question. May I have your advice and thoughts about pre-amp's?

I have a Classe 4 pre-amp which is about 13 years old and I am looking to replace it. My budget is limited, but I have considered the NAD S100, ATC CA2, and Primare Pre-30, these being the options which have attracted most of my attention within my budget - absolute maximum $3500 Australian. I am not considering Musical Fidelity at this time. There is an ACT SCA-2 available for $4500.00, but I just could not justify it.

These units each have their benefits and attractions - I would prefer balanced outputs which the ATC does not have - but they all have remote control, enough inputs, and seem to be well made. I would love the Primare to be best for me - and a little cheaper, too - but...

I have read here that the ATC sounds very good, but how good is it in comparison to these, or other, preamplifiers? Where does it stand in the hierarchy of pre-amp's?

I would be most grateful if I could get your thoughts as to the relative merits and sound of each of these - or anything else I really should consider. I should mention that I am not averse to importing second-hand from the U.K., or even new if not available here in Australia (I bought my Trichord Alecto from Trichord).

In case I need to state it, my other gear is Sony 338-ESD CD player (to be replaced/upgraded sometime), Audioplan cables, and locally made powered speakers which will be replaced or supplemented by "normal" speakers. I may also use it with some valve amplifiers I have - my system in in such a state of flux!Music? Instrumental, lightish jazz, some classical - pretty limited interests, I know, but I buy what I like and enjoy listening to it.

Thanks for reading. I look forward your comments.

Antipodean Brad, May 8, 2004
  2. Antipodean Brad

michaelab desafinado

Hi Brad, welcome to the forum! I'm not really able to give much advice in response to your post, I was hoping someone else would but somehow this post seems to have been ignored - didn't want you to feel like you got a frosty reception on your first post :)

Arcam also make the FMJ C30 pre-amp which is supposed to be quite good. It costs about £1000 new in the UK, I don't know how that works out in Ozzy dollars.

You could of course do what I did and order a transformer based passive pre from Bent Audio. Can be specced pretty much as you like including balanced inputs and outputs.

See this thread where I did a bit of a write up on mine.

Michael.

michaelab, May 10, 2004
  3. Antipodean Brad

MikeD Militant Nutter

$2560 ;)

MikeD, May 10, 2004
  4. Antipodean Brad

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

hiya

why not have a look at the ''what valve pre?'' thread for lots of ideas.

Sideshowbob has an ATC pre and loves it. Why not PM him?

Chris

bottleneck, May 10, 2004
Ask a Question