Pre Amp Lifespan

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by darynngarrett7, Aug 2, 2022.

1. darynngarrett7

darynngarrett7

I had an audiolab 8000C " recapped" and overhauled about a year ago. The pots were crackly , I'd bought the amp new in the 80s and it's power amp brother had blown up quite spectacularly and could not be fixed. So, I think the recap was worth it. They certainly changed a lot of caps and it's been fine since, currently working with an elderly Rotel power amp. So my question is, I'm thinking of getting some dynaudio lyd 7 speakers which are active. My fear is, what would I do if the 8000C failed and how likely is that, given its only a pre amp. Back in the day, pre amps were available from many manufacturers but now it seems they are as rare as hen's teeth unless you want to spend a lot of money. I have several sources Inc phonograph so I cannot just plug something into the dynaudios.

darynngarrett7, Aug 2, 2022
  2. darynngarrett7

Sergeauckland

Failure is always possible, but unlikely. Electronics are mostly affected by heat, and Pre-amps are not stressed components as there's little in them that generates much heat. You've had all the electrolytic caps replaced, so they should be good for another 20+ years. As to the pots, carbon pots do wear and go crackly, so depending on what they replaced them with, should be good for a fair few years. If they were replaced with something like Alps Blue, or another conductive plastic pot, then they should last pretty much indefinitely. Unless they're fully sealed pots, you might like to spray some contact cleaner inside them every few years.

Apart from that, I wouldn't worry about the pre-amp. I'm still using a Meridian 501 from the 1990s, I've just checked over a Quad 44 from the 1980s, still fully up to spec, as are all my electronics from the 1970s onwards.

S.

Sergeauckland, Aug 2, 2022
    ductingtapes likes this.
Ask a Question