Primaluna & Maggies LRS

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ronnie1040, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Ronnie1040

Ronnie1040

Hi, I'm having a pair of Maggies LRS that I use as front speakers, combined with maggies bass panel.
    I'm interested to buy Primaluna Evo200 or Primaluna Dialogue Premium. Are they good to drive the LRS? Will EVO200 enough to do the job without have to crank up the volume to 1-2 o'clock? It's just cheaper than Dialoque Premium.
    Thanks.

Ronnie1040, Jan 26, 2021
  2. Ronnie1040

Sergeauckland

Firstly, Magnaplanars are 4 ohms, and as far as I know, pretty near purely resistive. Fortunately both Primaluna amps have 4 ohm taps, so from that point of view, you should be fine with the LRS.

However, the LRS is a low sensitivy loudspeaker (nominally 86dB @2.83 v) so only 83dB @ 1 watt. WIth only 40 or so watts from the Evo200, a little less from the Dialogue, you'll struggle to make them go loud.

Normally, Maggies are used with fairly powerful SS amps, say >100 watts into 8 ohms / ~200 watts into 4 ohms.

As to cranking up the volume, volume control position has little to do with output power, it's a gain control, so how far round you need to crank it depends on the amplifier's gain and the output voltage of the source. I normally expect to turn the volume control round to around 2/3rds rotation at normal listening level. If normal listening level comes with only 1/4 rotation, then either the amplifier has too much gain (the usual situation) or the source has excessive output.

S.

Sergeauckland, Jan 29, 2021
  3. Ronnie1040

Sergeauckland

Oh, and further to the above, if you're adding the bass panel, you'll need a separate amplifier to drive that, as there's no way a Primaluna will drive both the bass panel and the LRS.

S.

Sergeauckland, Jan 29, 2021
Ask a Question