Problems with JLab Talk Microphone

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tiggy, Feb 26, 2022.

1. Tiggy

Tiggy

Hi guys. I just bought a JLab Talk microphone recently for recording youtube videos and I just can't make it sound even halfway decent. No matter what I do. It's a quiet room, but the background noise is insane on it. Merely touching things creates a thump. Not joking - I would be better off recording on my phone!

Is there a better mic I could be using for bedroom recording? All I want is for it to be nice and clear, and for me simply touching furniture with a fingertip or knee to not create a huge thump. I'm not use why I'm having so much trouble - though I think it may be a condenser mic, and I've heard that can do stuff like this. People can't even understand me on Discord, and it's very frustrating.

Tiggy, Feb 26, 2022
  2. Tiggy

Sergeauckland

Firstly, That microphone is probably quite good, so I doubt it's the microphone itself.
    However, that desk stand is likely to be a problem, as there's no shock mounting that I can see. You either need to buy a shock-mount, or in the short-term, stand it on something soft and compliant, Sorbothane feet would be a Good Thing, or even a foam pillow will do to prove the point.

Also, set the microphone to Cardioid response, as that will respond only to sounds in front. If set to Omni, stereo or bi-directional, it will pick up any room reverberation or noises in the room.

You may nee to experiment a bit, but standing a microphone without shock mount directly on furniture is asking for exactly the sort of trouble you're having.

S.

Sergeauckland, Feb 26, 2022
Ask a Question