Prolonging the life of CD stoplight pen

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by I-S, Jan 11, 2004.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

PLEASE NOTE: THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT WHETHER THE PEN WORKS OR NOT. IT IS AN INFORMATIVE POST FOR FELLOW PEN USERS.

I found that my CD pen was starting to get rather thin and transparent, and consequently less effective. Not surprising since I've treated 190-200 or so CDs with it.

However, I discovered a not unsurprising method of prolonging its useful life. Simply storing the pen vertically, with the tip at the bottom has got the opaque particley stuff back to the tip, and so it's no longer running transparent. I've redone a few CDs that only got a thin transparent layer before, and it's running pretty much as when new. Obviously it will only stretch so far, but it gets a few more CDs out of it.

I-S, Jan 11, 2004
  2. I-S

HenryT

Hi Isaac,

That's a good a tip (pun not intended ;) ).

Must admit, I'd never thought of that before. Always store mine in a horizontal position. No wonder I have to keep on revitalising it periodically by de-pressing the nib down a couple times and lightly scribbling on a scrap piece of paper. I'll start storing in the vertical position forthwith, cheers. :)

HenryT, Jan 11, 2004
  3. I-S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Iaasc, why would you want to get more out of something that is an obviously a con, and doesn't work :confused: seems pointless to me, please stick to breaking dac's in future :D Tone

wadia-miester, Jan 11, 2004
  4. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I'll have some more mains cables with that. :p

If anyone wishes to witness my Xtreme skillz at blowing things up, I'll be appearing at the bristol hifi show all three days, room 328. One explosion per customer.

I-S, Jan 11, 2004
  5. I-S

How dare you sir :mad: , complete indignation & pipe and slipperism, how can you bring up such twaddle, shame on you sir, the 4 sceptic's of the afterworld will be after your soul to burn in enternal damnation on 2 million levels of mana for such cobblers, take 2 preconcieved idea's into the dealers, and leave with something you didn't want. your a bad boy Iaasc :D

wadia-miester, Jan 11, 2004
  6. I-S

HenryT

Was it WM's or Isaac's Super DAC that got blown up BTW? :confused:

:)

HenryT, Jan 11, 2004
  7. I-S

merlin

GREEN PENS MY ARSE:mad:

In a blind test, using identical discs (one penned one not) we could tell no difference on my laptop:mad:

BTW Henry, my mate has recently parted company with one speaker manufacurer to join Quad:D ;)

merlin, Jan 12, 2004
  8. I-S

Henry, was WM's wee beatie, that mean man fried :D the dac chip went pop, all the regs/caps/board tracks are fine, reciever chip seems ok too, just that dac chip now :rolleyes: The boy needs to put trips or fuses both sides of the psu tranny I feel, still like steve austin we can rebuild it :) Wm

wadia-miester, Jan 12, 2004
  9. I-S

HenryT

Are we talking product ownership here or employment here? Which other speaker manufactuer BTW? :)

HenryT, Jan 12, 2004
  10. I-S

HenryT

Ah, whoops! :( :)

HenryT, Jan 12, 2004
  11. I-S

merlin

Employment my dear friend! But can't say as "you never know"etc. Itrust you know that the 989 was Stereophile product of the year, whatever that means! And I miss my Stax!

Still, might be tempted myself now, I'll "warm 'em up for you:D

merlin, Jan 12, 2004
  12. I-S

HenryT

Nah, never bought a copy of Stereophile in me life! Although the listings always make interesting reading for a laugh - is there a copy to peruse on the Net yet?

Eh? :confused: :D

HenryT, Jan 12, 2004
Ask a Question