Puresound A30

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by pixies, Oct 4, 2010.

1. pixies

pixies a menace to society

Anyone know how Quad 988's would respond to this valve amplifier? Currently using Quad 99/909. Any related comments also welcomed.

pixies, Oct 4, 2010
  2. pixies

Jimbo

Heard a Puresound (not sure which one) at Wilmslow audio and it did go very nicely with the speakers. Don't know much about your speakers or the A30 but i think you need efficient speakers to drive a valve amp if its low wattage. Jim.

Jimbo, Oct 4, 2010
  3. pixies

RobHolt Moderator

Likely a perfectly good pairing if the power output is sufficient - Quads ideally need more particularly for a larger room.

It will sound quite different to your 99/909 as the the 988 has large impedance swings, meaning the valve amp will alter the basic character of the 988 in a way that the 909 cannot.
    You might prefer it so best go and listen.

RobHolt, Oct 4, 2010
  4. pixies

pixies a menace to society

The Puresound website says that it can also be used as a power camp by turning t he volume up full and using a preamp into one of the line imputs. Would this make sense -SS pre and valve power? It would increase the number of inputs although I only use a Ace Spacedeck/Ear 834P and a CD player. Some day however, I will buy a digital tuner and feed it into athe 99 DACs.
    Thanks for the replys - I will book a home trial.

pixies, Oct 5, 2010
  5. pixies

RobHolt Moderator

I wouldn't bother with an active pre amp unless you need the additional gain or facilities/inputs.

Valve power amps are usually well suited to passive pre amps (the volume pot in this case).

RobHolt, Oct 5, 2010
Ask a Question