Puzzle? Amps now running cooler

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dreftar, Jan 6, 2008.

1. dreftar

dreftar

I recently installed a Promi passive preamp and as a happy coincidence my Monarchy SMPro 70s now run much cooler. ALthough I am very happy about this, I am also puzzled!!!

I also changed my interconnects at the same time to balanced interconnects from Nicholas at Promitheous.

I am no sure of all the science involved but believe there must be an explanation somewhere. Can anyone enlighten me?? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

dreftar, Jan 6, 2008
  2. dreftar

Tenson Moderator

You probably had some DC on the pre-amp outputs. Now gone due to the new pre-amp and the balanced operation.

Tenson, Jan 6, 2008
  3. dreftar

dreftar

Thank you for that - makes good sense.

dreftar, Jan 6, 2008
  4. dreftar

RobHolt Moderator

or.....the new pre is rolling off earlier at very low frequencies and blocking LF gunk from the TT (I assume you have a TT from your avatar).

Turntables often produce LF mush below 20hz because of the arm/cartridge resonance. You can't always hear it but you can certainly see it with a ported speaker as the cones flap wildly which of course eats amplifier capacity. Actually, looking again at your avatar I see Quad ESL63s and you wouldn't have seen a problem with those......

Might be worth checking the LF response of the Promitheous TVC as being a transformer there will be some roll down at low frequencies.
    If there is - even if it looks quite severe - don't worry as you are doing the ESLs a huge favour by not pumping sub 20hz signals into their input transformers.

RobHolt, Jan 7, 2008
Ask a Question