Quad : 44/405.Worth Modding/repairing or Just sell ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by London, Jun 3, 2015.

1. London

London

Have just been given as part payment .The 405 is boxed the 44 is not . Both work. But the large power caps on the 405 have 'domed" as usual ! Slight "crusting" on the far side of the 405 paint but only a little

These have not been modded in anyway . I have no need .Would they just as well sell as is or will I gain more for them after getting the 405 sorted ?

cheers !

London, Jun 3, 2015
  2. London

mjp200581

I can only suggest that you use the 'completed listings' search on eBay to see what 'used' and 'for parts/not working' ones fetch respectively. This should give you a reasonable idea of the market values.

mjp200581, Jun 3, 2015
  3. London

London

Good Idea ! I think a lot of people like to decide about how something is repaired /modded etc , so a good working set with classic "issues" may be a good starting point /selling point

London, Jun 4, 2015
  4. London

RobHolt Moderator

I'd be inclined to sell them as working but unserviced.
    Unless you do the work yourself you won't recoup the servicing costs.

RobHolt, Jun 4, 2015
  5. London

London

Thanks again. Like classic cars etc, I understand what you mean !
    Years ago I would have loved them, But i have no place for a full on hifi set up with a little boy etc .

London, Jun 5, 2015
  6. London

uzzy

I am sad to think you have no place for a hifi with a little boy .. my kids grew up with mine - I remember showing my eldest child how to use the Nakamichi tape player and how to switch on the preamp and power amp and select tape when she was just 18 months old. All three of mine grew up using vinyl as well and from the age of about 9 or 10 were allowed to use the turntable although I did take the precaution of putting the spare arm tube with a cheaper cartridge on the audio technica AT1100 when I wasn't using it.

Perhaps I was just lucky with my kids but all I can say now is I am proud of my lad who gets all the music he likes now on Vinyl ...

As to the Quad .. repair and build a hifi - it is a simple job to change the caps .. it is fairly bullet proof and provided you match it with 8ohm speakers (for less you need the 405-2) it has the making of being the heart of a fine system.

uzzy, Jul 16, 2015
  7. London

London

Thanks !
    There are many other issues ..
    Size of apartment and not having any cd's etc as I sold all my records etc years ago
    We are also thinking about getting out from the UK and the Philippines
    Is not going to be that friendly to nice hifi !!
    I think streaming will be our future and digital radio . I like the idea of using our B&W Zeppelin more
    Just need to get a good blue tooth dongle attachment for it

It's loud enough for us and I can live with the sound quality as its fine enough for "background " music . And easy to take with us !
    What I should research is a subwoofer to use with it

Thanks again

London, Jul 17, 2015
Ask a Question