Quad ESL 57

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by itsQuad, Oct 13, 2018.

1. itsQuad

itsQuad

Some months ago I "inherited" from my father a setup consisting of Quad 303, 33 & FM3, a Garrard 401 & SME 3009 and a pair of Quad ESL 57s. They have spent the intervening time up in the loft. A few days ago I brought them down and wired up the Quad items. I set them up with a CD player which I also inherited and have been listening to them.

Out of interest I turned up the amplifier today and noticed that on one of the speakers there were small, faint flashes (¿sparks?) on what I believe is the middle panel.

Can anyone tell me what the significance of these is and whether they will do or they indicate damage?

For what it is worth, the setup and the speakers sound absolutely wonderful - sadly, my wife is not entirely happy about having such huge speakers in the living room - but I will work on that.

itsQuad, Oct 13, 2018
  2. itsQuad

Janne622

Hi,
    I am afraid that You speakers are arching and needs replacement of the high/mid panels.
    It could be humidity that is causing/caused this. Have the powered on for a while (week 24/7)
    It may dissapear but if thats the case, You are a lucky. It is not easy to replace panesl but there are people doing it.
    It is worth it. Good luck.
    /Jan

Janne622, Nov 7, 2018
  3. itsQuad

Sergeauckland

If the panels are sparking, then there's a high probability that the membrane will be punctured, so will need replacing. A company called One Thing Audio can service the 'speakers and replace anything that needs it.
    S.

Sergeauckland, Nov 7, 2018
Ask a Question