Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto Number 2

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by SMEagol, Nov 7, 2008.

1. SMEagol

SMEagol Because we wants it...

This was a charity shop vinyl purchase, as something of a classical newbie, I thought dreary russian composer, with a heavy going sleeve picture of a drab forest. Nothing of the sort, this was a revelation, a totally beautiful piece of piano, late night over a couple of good beers with the lava lamp on the table and some low lighting it made my night, a superb way to wind down. For the princely sum of £1.
    I'd really recommend this to anyone that likes sweeping virtuouso piano, I read on Wikipedia in the Film 7 Year Itch its the music Tom Ewell's character believes will lure Marilyn Monroe in . I found Rachmaninoff's composition and piano skills breathtaking, the lady that played this recording, who I cannot recall just now, keeps it in her favourite repetoire, I couldn't phrase the style of playing better than Wikipedia so here goes... And I quote: Rachmaninoff possessed a formidable piano technique. His playing was marked by precision, rhythmic drive, a refined legato and an ability of maintaining complete clarity when playing works with complex textures. Beguiling, and recommended, I think I may well need another copy once this one wears out!

SMEagol, Nov 7, 2008
  2. SMEagol

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Who are the performers on your record?

It was used extensively in the famous 1930s weepie "Brief Encounter"

Try his 3rd piano concerto or 2nd symphony if you liked it - more dynamic, more powerful, even better.

alanbeeb, Nov 7, 2008
  3. SMEagol

I think it was the London Philharmonic and Ruth Laredo.
    Would have to check though!

...will go for another rummage in the gold mine at lunch time!

UPDATE post lunch..., for the curious... Bought 4 more albums, no 3rd piano concerto or 2nd symphony :(
    1. Schubert Piano quintet in A Major op 114 & Quartettsatz in C minor op. posth.,
    2. Holst The Planets on Decca, (got this already on another label but recording is dire) so Decca it is.
    3. Bach Organ Music - Prelude & Fugue in D Major, Fantasia and Fugue in C Minor, Prelude and Fugue in B Minor, Tocatta in E Major,
    4. Grieg Piano Concerto in A Minor Op 16, Shumann Piano Concerto in A Minor Op 54.

50p each - all mint! (paid them more though) Will have a listen tonight... I think someone had good taste as they all seem to have come from the same source. I like Mozart, yet to find any...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2008
    SMEagol, Nov 7, 2008
  4. SMEagol

adamdea

I think Brief Encounter is the implicit joke reference in the 7 year itch. Mind you it's a hell of lot less fun than the 7 year itch if you ask me.
    I assumed from your post that you had the version by Rach himself. I have heard one which was a bit crackly. personally I love the Richter version with the dodgy Warsaw Orchestra best

adamdea, Nov 7, 2008
  5. SMEagol

Hi Alan

Bought Rach 3 with Rach 1, on CD, will have a listen :) - I'm between DACs at the mo, so will have to wait a few days.

I understand he got panned on Concerto 1 and it really affected him, what's it like?

SMEagol, Nov 10, 2008
  6. SMEagol

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

TBH I don't know the 1st concerto. I think it was the 1st symphony that nearly did for him.... first performance was conducted by incompetent drunk fellow-composer Glazunov and was critically panned, sent poor Sergei into depression from which he took a long time to recover.

I see you've got the Grieg Piano Concerto.... its another romantic masterpiece, fantastic stuff. If you are a fan of Morecambe & Wise you'll recognise it.

alanbeeb, Nov 12, 2008
  7. SMEagol

I really didn't like the Schubert too much, like something they play in the background of a black and white romantic period drama. I have to say Rach 3 is beautiful, shame its on CD!

SMEagol, Nov 13, 2008
  8. SMEagol

Nic Robinson

If you like this stuff...

Get Stephen Hough's boxed set with the Dallas SO. Superb in almost every way.

Alternatively, here's my top versions for each concerto...

1. A modern recording by Nikolai Lugansky. Coupled with the (less successful imho) third. The poetry in the middle movement makes me cry (and being from Salford, that doesn't happen often)

2. Ashkenazy/Previn from the 70s does it for me. The old Richter recording is wonderful though.

3. Gotta be Argerich. She's well hard. If you don't mind the odd cut, Byron Janis on Mercury is wonderful.

4. Michelangeli. Coupled with an equally wonderful Ravel G major which you will also love if you don't know it.

Paganini Rhapsody: Probably Hough as above. Harder to decide.

I'm thrilled another person has been ensnared into the world of this still underestimated composer via the C minor concerto. The preludes (Moura Lympany is an old favourite here) are well worth getting hold of as many similar ideas are explored.

All the best,

Nic.

Nic Robinson, Dec 18, 2008
Ask a Question