Rack-top turntable supports

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gromit, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

I'm having to move my TT onto the top of a Quadraspire rack thingy (it's what the rest of my gear sits on) so as to get it up higher, away from a toddler's fingers etc etc. However, I've found that siting a turntable, straight onto the 'rack' isn't condusive to good performance - I'd tried my Gyro out this way and the degradation was rather noticable.

What I'm therefore after is a kind of small table (ie 2-3" high) on which the TT can be sat, on top of the rack, giving it a fighting chance of a reasonable sound.

TT's a N/A Spacedeck (or will be in a few weeks) :)

Any recommendations please???

Gromit, Jan 14, 2005
  2. Gromit

Dexter

IKEA LACK & Soundcare Superspikes

Hi Gromit,

For my recently acquired 2nd-hand Roksan Xerxes, I needed something lightweight yet extremely rigid to place it on. I went to IKEA and got one of those notorious LACK tables (55cm x 55cm; available in about 10 colors!) for €10.

[​IMG]

I didn't fit the legs, but instead mounted just the table top to the Soundcare Superspikes (€50) that I had been using under my Planar 3 (found the 4th one in the cupboard).

[​IMG]

Then I perched it atop my glass-shelved Hi-Fi rack. Not only does it look incredible but it's a vast improvement over the Mission/Cyrus Isoplat (basically an MDF plank w/sorbothane feet) it replaces! Should work a treat under your new arrival as well! :)

Total cost: €60. Of course, you can always spend more... ;)

Cheers, Dex

Dexter, Jan 14, 2005
  3. Gromit

joel Shaman of Signals

I've found that myInterspace HD does pretty well on top of the Quadrapsire. Mind you, it is a pretty massive table to start with (17kgs). Might get another granite base cut to see if that has an effect, though.

joel, Jan 14, 2005
  4. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Many thanks guys - I had been look at the M*** website, but it does seem rather expensive for what'll be a temporary fixture (the TT'll be going back onto its Audiotech table once little'un can be trusted).

Other option was to use the Audiotech's shelf board on some kind of feet - those Soundcare ones do look quite neat. :)

Cheers,

Richard.

Gromit, Jan 14, 2005
  5. Gromit

Dexter

If you do go the Superspike route, make sure they're the feet specified for electronics as the others are for speakers:

These have a wider base and mate dead-flush with the LACK table top using the adhesive provided. And do give the LACK a go. I wouldn't be surprised if it outperforms the Audiotech shelf in your temporary (2-3 years?) application. :D

Best, Dex

Dexter, Jan 14, 2005
  6. Gromit

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Best option is wall-mounting (so long as you've got a solid wall!), but otherwise it might be worth investing in something like a Voodoo or Townsend seismic sink.
    If you buy 2nd hand you can always flog it for much the same after/if you've finished with it..

leonard smalls, Jan 14, 2005
  7. Gromit

Goomer

If a wallshelf is an option, I'll go with Mr. Smalls and recommend one too. I use the Quadraspire one and am very happy with it, and have used a Target one in the past to good effect too, especially when substituting the MDF for a toughened glass shelf(glass cost about a tenner). The Target one is still knocking around in the loft, so if you're interested please drop me a pm.

I can't help with a recommendation for a rack-top one, I'm afraid, but good luck in finding a workable solution if you go this route.

Chris.

Goomer, Jan 14, 2005
  8. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Many thanks (again) chaps - I'd love to wall-mount but our walls are just partition plasterboard :( and would have a job holding up a P2 let alone anything with any real substance.

I'll check out the seismic sink - or should I just get a concrete slab cut to size and go for the good old mass-damping method?? :)

Gromit, Jan 14, 2005
  9. Gromit

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

The NAS is quite a heavy beast already, so they obviously like a bit of weight, so a heavy slab of some sort is cheap and easy.. Or you could even make your own seismic sink using a couple of bits of, say oak and 2 inner tubes!
    I personally think that the more isolation the better with TTs - praps something heavy and some form of air isolation to go for the belt and braces approach.

leonard smalls, Jan 14, 2005
  10. Gromit

Goomer

I seem to remember that in another thread from a little while ago, Uncle Ants had contacted Notts Analogue about positioning of their decks, and was recommended something like a heavy piece of furniture, so maybe the slab on top of the rack is the best way to go?

Hope that helps,

Chris.

Goomer, Jan 14, 2005
  11. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

:cool:

I think this could end up being a lot of fun - not used my angle grinder for some time now, then just need to go and nick a paving slab from nextdoors' patio. :D

Gromit, Jan 14, 2005
  12. Gromit

sideshowbob Trisha

I have my Gorbe on top of a 5 shelf Quadraspire rack, sitting on a nice piece of spiked granite. Sounds fine to me. I do have solid floors though.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jan 14, 2005
  13. Gromit

Sid and Coke

Whilst I agree with Mr Smalls re: Mounting on a 'solid wall', I don't think that this excludes a stud/plasterboard internal partition wall. I have my LP12 mounted on a Mana Ref wallshelf on just such a wall with no problems. Obviously you will need to use a stud finder to search for suitable 'uprights' and use a bit of common sense regarding the actual installation, using suoitable hardware. .
    BTW, I can actually jump up and down on my flimsy suspended wooden floor right in front of my TT whilst it is playing and my energetic stupidity has absolutely no physical effect on the Linn, quite impressive really. Partition walls can be more strong, light and rigid than one would at first think.

Here are a few pictures of my personal experience, hope they help in making an informed descision:

Sids latest System pic 1

Sids latest system pic 2

Sids Mana wallshelf fit

S&C

Sid and Coke, Jan 14, 2005
  14. Gromit

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I heard that NAS decks like a massy support - Id go with the wall shelf or big fat solid support option IMO.

Chris

bottleneck, Jan 14, 2005
  15. Gromit

ListeningEar

IMHO I would forget all other recommendations and get you to contact 'Silent Running Audio' in the USA. They make some of 'the' best isolation supports in the industry. I have not found anything else that comes near to the quality or performance of their products.

Only problem is, once you buy one piece for the TT you will be tempted to start isolating everything with their products.

Go to: http://www.silentrunningaudio.com/home.htm

Fill out the online form and hopefully Kevin Tellecamp will get back to you quickly with a quote. The support will be specifically made for your TT.

If you do not want to go to the expense of their isolation systems (I think that their pricing is very reasonable), then I would seriously recommend using the Stillpoints with risers.

;)

ListeningEar, Jan 18, 2005
  16. Gromit

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Just so, he said that it needed to be located "somewhere sensible" - either a wall shelf or a heavy piece of furniture - something pretty massy and inert basically. He also said you don't actually need the big blue base, so long as you place the deck sensibly - the blue base is there to make the deck big and chunky enough for the far eastern market (mine's in the box upstairs).

I'd go with the wall shelf myself.

Uncle Ants, Jan 18, 2005
Ask a Question