Radio 3

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by stereotype, Aug 28, 2009.

1. stereotype

stereotype

Do you listen to BBC R3?

If so, what are your reasons? If not, why not?

stereotype, Aug 28, 2009
  2. stereotype

sammyo

Yes, what are the alternatives?

That being said, my father and uncle have both largely given up on it, feeling that it ain't like it used to be.

sammyo, Aug 28, 2009
  3. stereotype

stereotype

Classic FM? Abstinence?

We might be interested in reading their reasons.

stereotype, Aug 28, 2009
  4. stereotype

Coda II getting there slowly

Yes, all day via iplayer.

For variety I most often pull up Late Junction and Jazz library.

Two programs that I miss from the current schedule:

Stage and screen & Making tracks.

Coda II, Aug 28, 2009
  5. stereotype

stereotype

Do you listen to classical music?

stereotype, Aug 28, 2009
  6. stereotype

Coda II getting there slowly

3 x Late Junction + Jazz Library = appr. 8 hrs, the other 32 are classical!

Coda II, Aug 28, 2009
  7. stereotype

sammyo

Who is "we"?

I don't know their full reasons but I can tell you that they are not listening to Classic FM instead. Irritation by too much non-classical mixed in with classical (no objection to a jazz hour here and there but following classical immediately with some electronica is not their cup of tea).

Possibly too much "chat" or too many low-brow features might be a factor for them, though I'm not so bothered by those things.

sammyo, Aug 28, 2009
  8. stereotype

sammyo

FM > DAB is not going to help, is it?

sammyo, Aug 28, 2009
  9. stereotype

stereotype

Venerable members. The Third Programme was thought to be influential in stimulating and fostering classical music in Britain in the 20th century, and the opinions of the current successor of those who witnessed that progress could be of particular interest.

That is perhaps not greatly surprising. :)

Neither is that. But maybe there's more to it than programme dilution of this sort?

What do you think of the classical music output? Is it of high enough quality, technically and artistically? Is it varied enough? Is concert programming biased in any direction? These have been great bones of contention in the past, though discussion of these things seems to have abated in recent years. That may be because the BBC's famed ability to ignore its public has finally had its intended effect; but it may not be so.

stereotype, Aug 28, 2009
  10. stereotype

stereotype

No! It could perhaps finish off R3. Unless there is a last-minute change of heart. There was a recent article in the Times, iirc, that pronounced this projected change to be a thoroughly foolish one, or something of the sort.

stereotype, Aug 28, 2009
  11. stereotype

capdegat

still listen to it most days but after being avid fan am just turning radio off. I can't stand adverts or inane banter which leaves me rather short of channels!
    The problem for me with 3 is they have changed direction and now spend most of the days playing chamber or lieder. I don't know what happened to proper music but they seem to think that we ( listening to 3 for 40 years ) need educating . What they fail to realize is that the very small percentage of people who listen to 3 actually know what they like and don't need some of the rubbish they now play .

capdegat, Sep 3, 2009
  12. stereotype

la toilette Downright stupid

I know what you mean Capdegat, or at least I feel a similar way.

I find some of the music on radio 3 a bit inaccessible in one way or another. I've only been listening to the channel for about a year on my way to work and back, and my knowledge of classical music is poor, so perhaps I need a certain amount of educating. Of course there's plenty of stuff I do enjoy, but lots just doesn't do anything for me.

To be honest I'd probably be happier listening to classic fm if it wasn't for the constant adverts, as they play stuff I can hum along to. Maybe when I become a bit more knowledgeable I'll be able to appreciate some of the more obsure stuff on 3. ;)

P.S. Does anyone actually enjoy listening to harpsichord music? Always sounds like a load of musical spanners being thrown down the stairs to me, ha ha.

la toilette, Sep 4, 2009
  13. stereotype

sammyo

I guess these views show the difficulty in managing Radio 3. Some people find harpsichords inaccessible (let alone Stockhausen or Berg) and want to hear Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and The Pearl Fishers but without adverts.

But why should Radio 3 be Classic FM without adverts? I'm far from the highest of high-brow listeners but I would like to think that Radio 3 could be a bit more adventurous and push my boundaries a bit.

I actually disagree with capdegat. Radio 3 for me would ideally be about 25% stuff that I "know that I like" (which includes harpsichords) and 75% stuff that makes me think a bit (musical variety, interesting recordings, great performances, and so on).

In some ways I "need educating" most (or enjoy being educated further most) in the areas that I already know the most - that applies professionally, intellectually and musically.

sammyo, Sep 4, 2009
  14. stereotype

la toilette Downright stupid

Tbh Sammyo I only listen while I'm driving, so only a small amount of my concentration is allocated to the music, so easy listening or listening to stuff I already know can be easier in that circumstance. However I do agree that variety is vital, as is pushing the boundaries a bit, and the balance they serve up cannot possibly suit everyone. I still listen to 3 as my preferred station so they must be pushing some of the right buttons for me!

la toilette, Sep 4, 2009
  15. stereotype

capdegat

I think I may have come over a bit strong as I still listen to 3 most of the time . I find mornings at the moment not too bad and then it goes downhill until evening where it picks up again for me. I actually have a very catholic ( glass shosti beethoven madrigals etc ) taste but quintet after quintet or constant lieder type stuff does me in.

capdegat, Sep 4, 2009
  16. stereotype

sammyo

It seems we all agree really. That was easy to sort out.

sammyo, Sep 4, 2009
Ask a Question