Recommend me a multimeter

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by mjp200581, Aug 30, 2014.

1. mjp200581

mjp200581

I've lost faith in my cheap multimeter which doesn't give me reliable accurate readings.

Can anyone recommend a mid-price multimeter with the right set of functions for general D.I.Y and electronics repair?

I already own a separate capacitor tester so whilst a capacitor test function would be a nice luxury I can manage without.

I'd like auto-ranging and a continuity test tone which is something my current meter doesn't have.

This video is a great guide as to what to look for but unless you can visit a shop with lots of different models in stock it's hard to pick a good example out.

mjp200581, Aug 30, 2014
  2. mjp200581

Tenson Moderator

Wow what a long video all about multi-meters!

I have a Wavetek Meterman and it is really good IMO. I like the fact it give accurate AC rms readings even with non 50Hz signals. The thing is most cheap meters are made to measure AC at 50 or 60Hz like on the mains but in audio you more typically find a 1KHz test signal. I've tested it against my 'scope and they agree pretty closely.

However I would say that every meter I've had always gave a reading of about 0.3R when connecting the probes directly together. So very low resistance readings such as inductor DCR is often not that accurate.

I will say one thing more - if you want to measure inductance or low resistance accurately I've found the best way is to use your computer soundcard (a decent one) which can be calibrated in software and give you a real impedance chart. Remember these have 24bit dacs and probably over 100dB signal to noise so you can get very accurate readings! Even my LCR meter from Atlas is a little out on inductance though it is good on capacitance. It has probe compensation but still only gives resistance to one decimal place.

Tenson, Aug 30, 2014
  3. mjp200581

mjp200581

Thanks, I did a Google search for Wavetek Meterman but there doesn't seem to be many stockists.

I need a few bits and pieces from Farnell so I'll probably see what they've got as it'll help me get over the minimum order value.

mjp200581, Aug 31, 2014
  4. mjp200581

mjp200581

In the end I bought an Agilent U1241B from Farnell which cost me about £160.

It's far far better made than my old cheapo meter and seems to have most of the desirable features mentioned in that video.

It has a frequency measurement function which I'm finding very useful right now and the capacitance meter goes down to much smaller values than my standalone capacitor tester which is also a real bonus.

Overall I'd give it a big thumbs up.

mjp200581, Sep 23, 2014
  5. mjp200581

electroacoustic Electroacoustic

I have the Agilent as well and am very happy with it

electroacoustic, Dec 8, 2014
  6. mjp200581

ListeningEar

I usually look for professional grade tools and test instrumentation on feebay, I try to find near new units for a fraction of the cost new.

ListeningEar, Dec 8, 2014
  7. mjp200581

Minotauro

Hi: Recently I purchased a Fluke 175. It is true-RMS, the readings are very accurate (0,09-0,15% DC), and it is very robust! I am very pleased it him!

Minotauro, Jul 19, 2015
  8. mjp200581

Dave MacFarlane

Got a Fluke 17b - best purchase in years - same reason as MJP - quality speaks!

Dave MacFarlane, Nov 20, 2015
Ask a Question