Recommended speakers for my Audio Innovations 500?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by vincula, Oct 30, 2009.

1. vincula

vincula

Hello guys,

As some of you may now, I recently jumped onto valves and am pretty happy with it. My A500's partnered with a pair of Audio Note AZ Two speakers in my 18 m2 living room. Sound's fine, though I'm missing bass response, since I cannot place them as they should and deserve.

I'll be soon moving to a bigger house, and my hi-fi rig will be placed in the living room as well, but this will now be 35 m2 and double-height -some than 6 metres to the roof at some points!- The speakers must be placed reasonably close to the rear walls. No free space, the missus says.

Of course, a good reason for upgrading :MILD:! Let your imagination flow. I wanna stress that I'm a valve convert, and that I will remain in the valve reign no matter what, so no crazy loads, please. My own's already heavy enough... My diet's mainly jazz and classical, with only eventual excursions into other genres, of course.

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Oct 30, 2009
  2. vincula

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Vincula,

I used a Series 500 as my main amp years ago. I used it will a pair of Snell J loudspeakers. A fine match. They stopped making the Snells but Audionote used the basic design for their speakers.

I had also had pair of Audionote J loudspeakers. A pair of these may give you what you are looking for. The current versions are design to go in corners so putting them near the wall is not a problem. They are more sensitive than your AZ speakers with a deeper bass response. They will be a step up from the AZ speakers.

Also look at the Audionote E loudspeakers as well. Both these speakers need stands.

http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/speakers/an-j_01.shtml

http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/speakers/an-e_01.shtml

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 30, 2009
  3. vincula

chulo

speakers for audio innovations 500

ok Vincula , you can use magnepan speakers they are gorgeous or buy yamaha ns525f great speakers good for jazz ans classic music
    magnepan really great you can always boot ina subwoofer with it.
    try to listen to them , I used to have magnepan 24 years ago until i got rid of them as my kid liked to bang them with screw drivers!still trying to figure out what valves are goos with dynamic to listen to good jazz music
    bye
    chulo

chulo, Nov 15, 2009
  4. vincula

vincula

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. The Magnepan are great, chulo, but I'm afraid both my 3 year-old and my 1 year-old will get a shock when their prying fingers try to experience with the panels, so that's a no-no. Maybe on 10 years or so, if the family doesn't keep growing, that is :cool:!

The AN/E are great, though unfortunately a bit above my budget at the moment, though I'll continue my quest. Very rare used here, especially as people tend to keep them for a long time or just upgrade them up to the crazy silver-all versions. Really nice, I know.

Further suggestions welcome, guys :D I was considering some ProAc's, maybe some Operas. Any particular models I should look out for considering my needs?

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Nov 15, 2009
  5. vincula

Pure Sound

Heco Celan 500 or Celan XT501 (the latest version)

I sell them in the UK but there is a Heco agent in Spain.

Difusion Audio Club.
    Juan de Austria 128 404a
    08018 Barcelona
    Telefon: 00349 933015255
    Email: [email protected]

Easy to drive with high quality paper cone drivers & soft dome tweeters. Will go well with an S500.

Pure Sound, Nov 17, 2009
  6. vincula

Rocket 88

I have a pair of Snell E11s with the essential Pirate stands..and they may be for sale as I want to get into horns.
    Currently they are driven by 12 watt edison 12 valve amps and sound great. The designer E. Anderson was with Audio Innovations b4 he designed the Edison, I believe. Looking for £550 with stands.

Rocket 88, Nov 18, 2009
  7. vincula

vincula

Thanks for the offer, Rocket 88 :). Do appreciate it. I don't remember which Snell model the E11's are. Only a Tannoy under that name, AFAIK. Does it correspond to an actual AN-K? Do you mind posting some pics?
    I don't know if those will be enough to fill my 35m2 living room with music, especially in the bass, but I've heard the AN-E, which are lovely and could, so... what do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Nov 19, 2009
  8. vincula

Pure Sound

Snell E/IIs are very nice and physically similar (dimensions & appearance) to the AN-E's which were based on them.

Pure Sound, Nov 19, 2009
  9. vincula

vincula

Thanks a lot, Pure Sound :D!

PM sent Rocket88

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Nov 19, 2009
  10. vincula

chulo

hello estimado Vincula,

wow man I came across some old jbl speakers called JBL L100 Century , believe it or not these speakers sound great they are from the 70s but the sound is simply fabulous, the sensitivy of the speakers are around 90DB so they will driven well by your AI500.They are for sale on blå avis in DK for 3500 kr.you can always bargain with the guy.
    I dig a lot of jazz john coltrane , stan getz, miles davis and great group like st,germain. I understand you dig jazz , what valves you got running on your AI 500to get a good stunning sound for jazz LPs and cds, In the near future I am thinking about investing in a valve cd player.Any comments will be welcome and appriciated.
    NB: by the way on Ebay.uk right now , there are hell of a lot of speakers for sale and damn cheap.have a look . if there is a will ,there is always a way .
    cordially yours
    chulo

chulo, Dec 2, 2009
  11. vincula

felix part-time Horta

If you want sheer quality rather than volume in that huge room - Quad ESls. I ran AI500 with Border Patrol PSU into ESL57s for six months and the effect was utterly sublime - esp. for jazz and classical.

felix, Dec 2, 2009
  12. vincula

vincula

Thanks for the kind and informative suggestions I've received so far, guys :)! Hope I'll be moving to the new place in a few weeks. That'll tell me whether a speaker change is mandatory or not.

I do encourage you to keep coming with ideas, although I'm gonna try to pay off that fancy kitchen the missus got first! Holy...

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Dec 3, 2009
  13. vincula

Johnnyrs

Hi Vincula,

Have you thought of Triangles?

I've got some Genese Quartets that are great. They're rated for large rooms and their sensitivity is 91 or 92dB.

There's a review on the web from Hifi+ - try Triangle's website - and IIRC they review them with a 11 or 12 wpc tube amp.

Johnnyrs, Dec 5, 2009
  14. vincula

vincula

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Actually, I have been considering Triangle. I will do some googling about them.There's a dealer in Zaragoza carrying them along woth Reference and PMC Speakers. I've been thinking about a pair of PMC FB1. A good match to my amp and big living room? Any experience with those, guys?
    Thanks a lot :D!

Regards,

Vincula

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2009
    vincula, Dec 7, 2009
Ask a Question