Record Mats any you would recommend?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by cyp21, Oct 15, 2010.

1. cyp21

cyp21

Any recommendations that you found that made a difference which do you use? Any thoughts on the Herbies record mat?

cyp21, Oct 15, 2010
  2. cyp21

Noel Winters

I use a Graphite named Mat 1 And have found it made a big difference .I am talking
    about a difference you can plainly hear .They are made in the States .Quite a lot on the web showing how they are made. Worth a look. Noel W.

Noel Winters, Oct 15, 2010
  3. cyp21

RobHolt Moderator

it is a critical interface and nearly every change there will make a difference.

Try a few materials and see what floats your boat.

RobHolt, Oct 16, 2010
  4. cyp21

Cable Monkey

Some simple rules can be applied dependant on what your platter is made of, and if your turn table is designed to require coupling or decoupling of the record and platter. I use a sound isolating sandwich on an alloy platter, no mat on a Rega aftermarket acrylic platter.

Cable Monkey, Oct 17, 2010
  5. cyp21

speedy.steve

On SP-10 the Cu mat is good as is the hard PL-71 mat - infact it is a dead heat between the two on my SP-10! They perhaps skin the cat in different ways but the result is remarkably good / similar. Both can be had for similar money. The PL-71 mat comes with a deck, good arm (ripe for 12" conversion and of course a deck:)

speedy.steve, Oct 17, 2010
Ask a Question