reissues of Handel keyboard works by Koopman, Ross etc.

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Masolino, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Masolino

Masolino

Just a heads-up for the interested. I have just learned that a box containing Ton Kooopman's recording of Handel organ concertos, Scott Ross's 8 "Grand Suites" and Olivier Baumont's recording of other suites and keyboard works will be released on 09/02 in UK.

Masolino, Feb 4, 2009
  2. Masolino

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

The only set of Suites I really like is Colin Tilney's. Beautiful North German harpsichords (the Zell and a very interesting Fleisher), poetry and sensitivity. How do the others compare, in your opinion?

Rodrigo de Sá, Feb 5, 2009
  3. Masolino

Masolino

I have not heard many sets of Handel suites but found (different sorts of) poetry and sensitivity in recordings by both Blandine Verlet and Ludger Remy. :) Looking forward to hearing the Scott Ross, whose Bach Goldberg, WTC and Partitas are among my favourite.

Masolino, Feb 5, 2009
  4. Masolino

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

I never listened to these versions... Blandine Verlet in Handel must be quite a weird combination: Handel's sanguine nature and Verlet's neurosis do not seem to match.

Rodrigo de Sá, Feb 5, 2009
  5. Masolino

Masolino

I actually think the French aspect in these suites is often underplayed (Handel was no less versed than Bach in the French style) - for me Verlet brings it out quite well.

Masolino, Feb 5, 2009
  6. Masolino

pe-zulu

Following up upon this topic, I will say, that the Koopman Organ concerto set, which I once owned, IMO is a boring assembly line production. Routíne all the time. I do not understand why a certain Händel fanatic which both of us know, recommends it that much. Scott Ross' interpretation of the Eight suites from the First collection is solid in a most often German-like way, often impressive, but not very imaginative. I do not know Beaumont's recordings. Generally I have found playing the other Suites myself more rewarding, than listening to them.

pe-zulu, Mar 26, 2009
  7. Masolino

Masolino

Can you recommend a good recording of the concertos which you think features imaginative interpretations? Compared to Bach, I think Handel is one tricky composer whose music can easily sound boring or rather tiresomely pompous even in the hands of most capable musicians.

Masolino, Mar 27, 2009
  8. Masolino

pe-zulu

Yes, modern musicians have great troubles in recreating these concertos in the spirit of Händel, the music easily becomes stiff and stereotypical and this is perhaps the reason, why I haven't investigated these concertos that much. I am too disappointed with the recordings I have heard, and I can't recommend any of them.

pe-zulu, Apr 13, 2009
Ask a Question