Remembering The Retail Shops I Used To Work For

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by nando, Sep 4, 2009.

1. nando

nando nando

in the early 70's as i am going back to the good old days of hi-fi retail i thought about putting this thread, some of you might haved worked or bought items from such, it will be interesting to know:
    1st shop of work: 1973,OLYMPIC ELECTRONICS, nottin hill,
    2nd: THE CENTRE OF SOUND, notting hill,
    3rd NANDOS RADIO , edgware road,
    4trh: nu-sound, edgware rd.
    hi-fi confidential buckinham palace rd,
    sound sense, edgware rd,
    owned STUDIO ONE, in hammersmith, those are but just a few,
    nando.

nando, Sep 4, 2009
  2. nando

nando nando

p.s. i forgot , MUSICAL IMAGES, COVENT GARDEN,
    NANDO.

nando, Sep 4, 2009
  3. nando

Smithy

I remember Musical Images I bought my Epos Es14s from there a long way back in time.

Smithy, Sep 4, 2009
  4. nando

nando nando

how long ago?
    nando

nando, Sep 4, 2009
  5. nando

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I haven't really got much retail experience as prior to my business most my jobs were in web development however:-

1999 -Worked in a computer repair shop for a few days 'cash in hand' as a 17 year old. I got £60 a day when my mates were lucky to get £20, but it only lasted a week it got no customers.

2006-2007 - When my business was in its infancy I took a part time job in Currys in the Trafford Centre. I got asked a question:-

"What would you sell with an MP3 player" I answered a pair of Senhieser PX100s, we was very impressed with the answer and despite his concerns of lack of experience gave me the job :). I left a few months later as I was coming out with £35 a day while loosing a £30 45 minute job so it just made no sense.

I remember a few catch phases:-

1) We sell them but they are £25.00 here, Maplin do do them for £2.99.

Customer: Where is that:

Me: Gives detailed directions to about 10 different maplin stores.

I used always chat up the pensioners (the old men) and talked about the good old days, I would chat about the merits of chain drive engines.

This had a very strange effect, two days later these 80 year olds would come in asking for Ian as they wanted to buy a flat screen tv. My manager desperatly wanted to keep me because although I was 'the worst sales man' he has ever seen, I was very good at getting the customers to really love the shop and they would always come in asking for me, because I only worked one day a week the other sales team got chatted to them and sold them that 42" plasma TV :D

To be fair though I rarely tet customers walk with an Ipod unless they spent at least £40 on a pair of headphones :D.

I was very good at selling things I was passionate about, I was crap at selling in my humble opinion (for the laywers reading) expensive warranties.

amazingtrade, Sep 6, 2009
  6. nando

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

many moons ago working in a large department store the sales training was interesting to say the least,if a customer bought a kettle you tried to sell them a tea pot,tea milk, and any other related goods,however i was soon dismissed for following this training when an embarrassed young gentleman was searching for tampons for his girlfriend,remembering the training i led him into the gardening section and started the sales pitch on an expensive lawn mower,the young chap rather confused asked what the hell do i need a lawn mower for, i only came in for tampons? well sir i replied your weekends f****d so you might as well cut the grass

themadhippy, Sep 6, 2009
  7. nando

RobHolt Moderator

I also bought from them in the late 90s.
    Was quite into Cyrus at the time and bough about 10 assorted cyrus boxes over a couple of years.
    Also bought a Gyrodec with SME arm from them.

RobHolt, Sep 6, 2009
  8. nando

nando nando

in the 70's people did not worry nor cared about price, more of personal service , t/t yes sme arm, yes shure v15, yes, fitted ? yes oops it is lunch time facy a pint ? and then while i have a fag or two i will fit all up for you o.kk.? super i like to see you doing that so i can learn, no props. as for tampons tell me how do you recicled them ? i know how
    nando.

nando, Sep 6, 2009
Ask a Question