Repair job -> studio monitor "Prodipe Pro5 Biamp"

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by ctrlzjones, Dec 4, 2021.

1. ctrlzjones

ctrlzjones

One of my trusty speakers started to make in ugly fuzzing sound combined with some distortion. I don't think it's. coming from the speakers themselves. The audio repair I showed it to wanted to remove the boards (or one of them) and charge +100€. So that is more than their worth (12 years old), as I expect them to sell for 100-150€...

So, are you aware of any online shop where I could get the boards for that model? Or how would you go for a DIY job?

ctrlzjones, Dec 4, 2021
  2. ctrlzjones

Sergeauckland

€100 sounds quite reasonable to remove and repair a board with an unknown fault, as that's a standard 1hour repair charge. I'd be very surprised if you could get it done cheaper unless the repairer is a friend. If you don't want to pay that, you could buy a cosmetically scruffy pair and strip them for spares, so you'll have some parts for any future need.

Items like these loudspeakers are manufactured in large quantities and aren't meant to be repaired. If they go wrong, the expectation is to just buy another pair. I hate this, but it's one reason why they're as cheap as they are.
    S

Sergeauckland, Dec 4, 2021
  3. ctrlzjones

ctrlzjones

Yes, this is why I was hoping to do it in my bedroom. I only would need to know a resource where to get the two boards from... To find that out where to address is the reason for this thread. I don't like the idea to throw them away just because of a burnt transistor. There should be somebody who stocks those boards somewhere in the world, me hopes.

ctrlzjones, Dec 4, 2021
  4. ctrlzjones

Sergeauckland

I very much doubt anyone stocks spare boards. These boards won't be a standard item, and even if someone does have some, I would expect them to be almost as expensive as buying a new loudspeaker. If you have the knowledge, you could try repairing it yourself, you'll need a good soldering iron and desoldering tool, a multimeter, a signal generator and an oscilloscope, although you could use a computer with a decent sound card and some free software like REW, and make up some probes and attenuator. Doing your own repairs can be very educational and satisfying, but it's a lot of bother if you're only doing it occasionally.

S

Sergeauckland, Dec 4, 2021
  5. ctrlzjones

ctrlzjones

Ah. Thanks you for that info, even if it's not what I'd hoped to hear. ;-)
    Yes, I know how to solder (even if it's been a while), but to dive into the currents of circuit boards would be way over my head, + the adquisition for all the tools. I may was well give up.

ctrlzjones, Dec 4, 2021
Ask a Question