replacing damaged tweeters

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by scotty19tx, Mar 13, 2005.

1. scotty19tx

scotty19tx

Hi,
    i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on replacing the tweeters on my wharfedale pacific evo 10 speakers ? is it just a case of obtaining the replacement drivers and soldering the wires on to them ? never done anything like that before so any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

scotty19tx, Mar 13, 2005
  2. scotty19tx

Anex Thermionic

Do you know what the tweeters are (make/model). You need to get the same ones really. But yes, you unscrew the old one, unsolder it and then just solder the new one in place. If you don't know what they are, take the old out and look for a serial number or something. Put that along with wharfdale pacific evo 10 (or some derivative of) into google, hopefully should give you a result.

Anex, Mar 13, 2005
  3. scotty19tx

scotty19tx

i think ill try contacting wharfedale to see if they can tel me where to get them, just hope i dont bugger it up since ive only used a soldering iron twice :)

scotty19tx, Mar 13, 2005
  4. scotty19tx

Anex Thermionic

Its not hard really, you've only got 2 contacts to solder. Just don't hold the iron on too long or you'll kill the coil

Anex, Mar 13, 2005
  5. scotty19tx

ChrisPa

you'll possibly find they're crimp connectors on the end of the wires and they simply push on to the terminals on the drivers

ChrisPa, Mar 15, 2005
  6. scotty19tx

scotty19tx

well i just replaced the tweeters in both speakers.... the right speaker works fine.. but for some reason the left one is making my amplifier go into protection mode, cant see what ive done to cause that tho, think i will phone wharfedale tommrow and see if i can send the speakers to them so they can sort it out for me, any idea what could be causing this anyone ?

scotty19tx, Apr 3, 2005
  7. scotty19tx

Anex Thermionic

A short somewhere. You need to trace the wiring back and make sure you haven't connected anything up backwards. Swap the speaker cables over to see if it still does it. If it still shorts then your speaker cable is dodgy, if not its in the speakers. If you can't see anything in the speakers its possible you have a faulty replacement tweeter.

Anex, Apr 3, 2005
Ask a Question