Resurrected gear

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by wotan, Sep 6, 2020.

1. wotan

wotan

After years of not using my Pioneer SX1250 receiver and Denon DP23f turntable I bought an Ortofon cartridge and a pair of Klipsch RP-8000F speakers. I listen almost exclusively classical (preferably baroque) music. Instruments sound great but voice sounds a little distorted, sort of like a dirty needle. I had the receiver gone over by a local (San Diego) vintage audio guy., Hope my reciever is OK .

wotan, Sep 6, 2020
    1. Advertisements

2. wotan

Sergeauckland

Assuming the receiver's fine, it could be cartridge set-up that causes mistracking, it could be worn or dirty records, or it could be that after years of listening to clean digital, you're now sensitive to the inevitable distortions of vinyl. Voices tend to have quite high recorded velocities on the record, so will both wear more and be where mistracking happens first.

I would check the cartridge alignment first, then tracking using a test record, then possibly get a vacuum record cleaning machine if you have a large number of records.

S

Sergeauckland, Sep 7, 2020
    1. Advertisements

3. wotan

wotan

Thanks for your reply. I'm beginning to think my expectations were too high, Many of my records are at least 30 years old, some from the early sixties. Perhaps my eighty three ears could contribute. In any case I am truly enjoying my record collection.

wotan, Sep 7, 2020
  4. wotan

Sergeauckland

I have quite a few records from the late 1950s onwards, with most being now some 40+ years old, and all, quite playable. What made the biggest difference was getting a vacuum Record Cleaning Machine and giving them all a thorough clean, sometimes twice, then putting the LP in a new clean plastic sleeve. It didn't make the few worn or otherwise damaged records playable but I scrapped very few. All my records were bought used, in record fairs or charity shops, with a few on-line.

A line contact stylus also helps as the longer contact tends to bridge the worn part, which would have been mostly played using a spherical stylus, and so plays the unworn groove wall.

If you have a decent sized collection, then an RCM is well worth the expense and effort in cleaning the records.

S

Sergeauckland, Sep 8, 2020
  5. wotan

wotan

Well now I am thinking about getting a d/a converter but I don't know anything about them. I really like my Pioneer SX 1250 receiver. excellent condition, 160 channel. amps per channel, don't want to give it up and buy the latest gear.

wotan, Sep 8, 2020
  6. wotan

Sergeauckland

What would you use the DAC for? Bear in mind that all CD players and any digital player with an analogue RCA or XLR output already includes a DAC, I don't see the benefit. Any player made in the last 20 years if not longer will already have a DAC that exceeds one's ability to hear improvements, will have a flat frequency response, tiny amounts of distortion and low noise, that it seems to me just a way of spending money for a new toy without tangible benefit.

That's why I've put all my efforts into my 'speakers as that's where there are still improvements to be made.

S

Sergeauckland, Sep 9, 2020
  7. wotan

wotan

What I wand to do is to be able to play digital audio sources through my Pioneer X 1250.

wotan, Sep 9, 2020
  8. wotan

wotan

SX1250

wotan, Sep 9, 2020
  9. wotan

Sergeauckland

Do these digital sources only have digital outputs, or do they also have analogue outputs? If they do have analogue outputs, then they already have a DAC, and you don't need a separate one.

S

Sergeauckland, Sep 9, 2020
  10. wotan

Sergeauckland

By the way, I've just looked up the SX1250. What a lovely receiver!

I still have a Yamaha CR1000 of the same era. I'm rather partial to vintage equipment.

S.

Sergeauckland, Sep 10, 2020
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question