Richard Thompson CDs

Wanted: Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by SimonConnell, Oct 21, 2003.

1. SimonConnell

SimonConnell

Looking for anything you've got kicking around thats on CD and cheap. Anybody got something?
    Simon

SimonConnell, Oct 21, 2003
  2. SimonConnell

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Can't see anybody wanting to get rid of any myself... but nice try! Seriously though, not knowing what, if anything, you've heard of his, I'd suggest you look out the following:

Across A Crowded Room
    Hand of Kindness
    You Me Us
    Rumour & Sigh
    Mock Tudor
    The Old Kit Bag

These two with his ex-wife Linda Thompson are pretty essential too.

I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight
    Wall Of Death

There's a good 3cd retrospective that goes up to the early 90's IIRC, entitled Watching The Dark, bit expensive unless you can find it second hand.

www.101cd.com currently have Mock Tudor, Action Packed (Capitol years retrospective), Mirror Blue, Rumour & Sigh and Amnesia at £5.99 each.

There's also a new CD come out, Rock On, featuring RT and loads of other members/ex members of Fairport Convention, going under the title of The Bunch. Don't know if it's any good, but it's them all playing some of their favourite rock & roll stuff. Sounds interesting though.

ilockyer, Oct 21, 2003
  3. SimonConnell

SimonConnell

Thanks a lot for that - really helpful. I went on a long trip 'Ooop North' the other week, and we played a lot of his stuff on the way up there. Somewhat surprisingly I'd never heard of him before, but his stuff's top class - if anyone out there's never heard him before go out and buy some of his music.
    Without wishing to sound really unsubtle, did he and Linda break up?
    Simon

SimonConnell, Oct 21, 2003
  4. SimonConnell

ANOpax ESL-Meister

Simon,

I think that perhaps he and Linda did break up :rolleyes:

reg

ANOpax, Oct 21, 2003
  5. SimonConnell

sideshowbob Trisha

They broke up extremely acrimoniously. He's a miserable sod and no mistake. Great guitarist though. I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight, Shoot Out the Lights, and Pour Down Like Silver are my favourites.

Check out the Sandy Denny/Richard Thompson era Fairport Convention as well. Unhalfbricking, What We Did on Our Holidays, and Liege and Leaf are classics.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Oct 21, 2003
  6. SimonConnell

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

She Twists The Knife Again is another classic happy tune from Richard! The Fairport albums mentioned have all been recently remastered and re-released... not bought any yet though, any good (the remastering that is, I know the music's good!)?

ilockyer, Oct 21, 2003
Ask a Question